10 Famous Athletes With Asthma
It is estimated that over 34 million Americans suffer from Asthma, but this list of 10 famous athletes with Asthma is proof that if managed properly, anything is possible. These athletes range from Olympians to professional basketball and football players. Regardless of suffering from Asthmatic symptoms, with hard work and dedication they have prevailed, become the some of the best athletes in their sport, and role models to all.
- First up on the list of 10 athletes with Asthma is Jerome Bettis. Jerome was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of fifteen. In spite of it, he played for thirteen years in the National Football League. He ranks fifth on the NFL’s all-time rushing list and he helped the Pittsburgh Steelers win a Super Bowl championship before he retired.
- In 1974, Cross-country skiing was what helped Bill Koch become the first American to win a medal in an international competition. He was also the first American to win a medal in Nordic skiing. In the 1976 Olympics, he took home a silver medal.
- Greg Louganis is considered one of the greatest divers of all time. He is best known for winning Olympic titles back-to-back. His asthma had gone by the time he became a famous athlete but he still lands on the list of 10 athletes with Asthma.
- Nancy Hogshead is currently a spokesperson for Asthma due to her experiences with it. She competed for the United States in the 1984 Olympics winning four medals. Her athletic status and tireless efforts to educate people with the disease is what places her on the list of 10 famous athletes with Asthma.
- Amy Van Dyke was diagnosed with Asthma when she was a young child and started swimming after advice from her physician. She is on the list of 10 athletes with Asthma because she won four gold medals total in the Athens and Sydney Olympics.
- Paula Radcliff was diagnosed with exercise induced Asthma when she was a teenager. She places on our list of 10 athletes with Asthma because she has not only won a marathon seven times but she is the current record holder.
- Justine Henin lands on the list because she is a four-time French open champion. She was diagnosed with Asthma in her mid-twenties and is currently one of the top ranked tennis players in the world.
- Dennis Rodman is one athlete that many will recognize but many may not know that he too suffers from Asthma. His fame and silent battle with asthma places him on the list of famous athletes with Asthma. He is now retired but played fourteen seasons in the NBA and gave professional wrestling a try.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee was diagnosed with Asthma in college. Only after a serious Asthma attack, did she learned how to manage it properly. She is a track and field all-star and has medaled four times in the Olympics.
- Dominique Wilkins was diagnosed with Asthma at the age of twenty-two. He is now a retired athlete but played professional basketball for the Atlanta Hawks. He is an NBA all-star and known as one of the best dunkers in history. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2006.