Authors use books to inspire, and these 10 famous Christian authors share inspiration, faith and encouragement through their works. Christian literature can range from children’s stories, self improvement books to books and articles relating to direct quotations from The Bible. Christian authors like any other do develop a fan base and enjoy popularity with both believers and non-believers alike.
- C.S. Lewis – A profound contributor to Christian literature, he had an ability to take Christian ideas and themes, making them easily understandable by children readers. His most popular series was “The Chronicles of Narnia,” which consists of seven books and was written between 1949 and 1954. This series has sold over 100 million copies in 41 languages worldwide.
- Richard J. Foster – This author is best known for his 1978 book, “Celebration of Discipline,” which looked into both inward and outward disciplines of faith. This book sold over one million copies and was named as one of the top books of the twentieth century.
- Oswald Chambers – A prominent Christian minister and teacher best known for his daily devotional, “My Utmost for His Highest”. His popularity came after his death and can be contributed to his loving wife who summarized his extensive preaching’s and talks from her shorthand note taking.
- Edward M. Bounds – A clergyman for the Methodist church, he wrote eleven books, nine of which were focused on prayer. He served as a chaplain through the civil war and was even taken prisoner by the union army but later released. Only two of his books were published before his death, the rest were brought to press by Reverend Claudius Chilton Jr. and Reverend Homer Hodge.
- John Bunyan – An English Christian writer and preacher, he was most well known for his book “Pilgrims Progress”. This book is often regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature, has been translated into 200 different languages and has never been out of print. Over his lifetime he wrote about 60 books and articles, though some were deemed controversial at the time.
- Walter Martin – An evangelical minister and author, Martin founded the Christian Research Institute in 1960. The majority of his writings were focused around cult culture and how they can be used as an important mission field. His main goal throughout his career was to educate people about differences in culture and how Christianity could be focused on them.
- James Dobson – Often referred to as the nation’s most influential evangelical leader, Dobson was the founder of the Focus on the Family organization. Most of his publications focus on aspects of family life and how to handle certain situations. He also has a syndicated radio talk show with more than 300 stations nationwide.
- Billy Graham – A well known television evangelist, Graham has been the spiritual advisor to twelve US Presidents. He has also authored 28 books since 1947.
- Jerry B. Jenkins – He is best known as the co-author of the “Left Behind” series, and has written over 150 books which feature an evangelical Christian as the protagonist. Jenkins is the owner of the Christian Writers Guild, which was originally founded to raise the quality of Christian authors.
- Robert Whitlow – The Christian author of eight legal thrillers, he began his career as a novelist as a whim. He developed the idea of his first novel on the way to work one day, mentioned it to his wife over dinner and upon her encouragement he set out to write it. He has been the recipient of several Christy awards which are given each year to exceptional Christian novels.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Lando’s Penalty Kick Ritual: A Tribute
He plays his last match for the USA tonight. This video is a testament to his impact.