When you try to think up a list of 10 famous female movie characters, who comes to mind? What makes a female movie character memorable? Some of them are sexy, some of them are funny and others make the list because they know how to kick some serious bad-guy butt. For your reading enjoyment, here are 10 famous female movie characters, who are simply unforgettable.
- Carrie (Sissy Spacek), "Carrie" 1976. Modern-day emo angsty kids have nothing on this bundle of teenage hormones and mood-swings. Everyone that's ever had the fortune of seeing her, remembers our blood-drenched little Carrie, making her one of the most memorable famous female movie characters of all time.
- Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews), "Mary Poppins" 1964. She taught us that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down and changed the flavor of cough syrup forevermore. With her parasols, her umbrellas and her little carpet bag, Mary Poppins is one of the most famous female movie characters for children and adults alike.
- Catwoman (Michelle Pfeiffer), "Batman Returns" (1992). Before she came along, we thought the creepy cat lady was much older and smelled more like moldy bread. Not only is Catwoman one of the world's most famous female movie characters, she's one that can make the men sit up and say "Me-ow."
- Janet (Susan Sarandon), "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (1975). The most memorable innocent dumb blonde (transformed into an overnight sex kitten) that you can watch without a box of tissues on hand. It's amazing how transvestite aliens can move a girl up into list of famous female movie characters. Maybe they'll do some more folk dancing.
- Scarlett O'Hara (Vivien Leigh), "Gone With the Wind" (1939). Scarlett O'Hara is easily one of the most famous female movie characters, as well as one of the most memorable. Spunky, spoiled and determined, she set the standard for movies about Southern belles.
- Ripley (Sigourney Weaver), "Alien" (1979). Let's face it, Ripley was awesome. She was able to step in after the guys all failed, kick some series alien butt, save her kitty cat and still look good in a pair of bikini underpants. One of the first girls to show us bald could be chic, no list of famous female movie characters is complete without Ripley.
- Princess Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher), "Star Wars" (1977). While the incest thing with her brother was a little creepy, Princess Leia is easily one of the most famous female movie characters of all time. She put the metal bikini on the map and paved the path for sci-fi fashion designers throughout the galaxy.
- Dorothy (Judy Garland), "The Wizard of Oz" (1939). Dorothy is one of the most unforgettable female movie characters, known not only for her beauty and charm, but her beautiful voice and innocence.
- Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster), "Silence of the Lambs" (1991). If you haven't seen this movie, you're definitely missing out, as well as missing your chance to see why Clarice made our list of famous female movie characters. Strong in her own right, she paved the way and made it cool to be a female cop.
- Thelma & Louise (Geena Davis & Susan Sarandon ), "Thelma & Louise" (1991). Thelma and Louise are tied for two of the most famous female movie characters of all time, simply because of their discovery of their own inner strengths and for the fact that they drove off into the sunset, in such a way, that we'll never have worry about some cheesy sequel. Gotta love those girls.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.
How I Turned Myself Into a Spartan (And Why Every Man Should...
This workout (and philosophy) recast me from browbeaten shrub to rock-hard warrior.