10 Famous Movie Couples
Everyone knows these 10 famous movie couples, most from classic films. A few memorable couples from more recent years also made the list. Many of these couples have happy endings, but a few meet a tragic end.
- Forrest and Jenny from “Forrest Gump” (1994). Who could forget the endearing, dim-witted Forrest Gump and his childhood love, Jenny Curran? These characters were portrayed by Tom Hanks and Robin Wright Penn. The film was based on a novel by Wilson Groom.
- Bonnie and Clyde from “Bonnie and Clyde” (1967). Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty portray the only real-life duo to make the list of famous movie couples. The film depicts Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, who robbed banks together during the Great Depression. Both Dunaway and Beatty were nominated for Academy Awards for their performances in the film.
- Brad and Janet from “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975). Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon played the underwear-clad Brad Majors and Janet Weiss in the cult classic “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Brad and Janet were a straight-laced couple until meeting Dr. Frank N. Furter. The movie was adapted from a popular British stage production.
- Danny and Sandy from “Grease” (1978). John Travolta plays Danny Zuko and Olivia Newton-John plays Sandy Olsson in the film based on the 1971 musical. The movie is set at a high school in the 1950s. Greaser Danny Zuko falls in love with Sandy, a prim young lady from Australia.
- Scarlett and Rhett from “Gone With the Wind” (1939). “Gone With the Wind” is an undisputed classic, and Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler make up one of the most famous movie couples of all time. Through drama, tragedy and war, the chemistry between the two characters is undeniable. Both Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable were nominated for Academy Awards, and Leigh won for her performance.
- Rocky and Adrian from “Rocky” (1976). In the films, Rocky Balboa can always count on his loving wife, Adrian. The classic Rocky quote “Yo, Adrian” solidifies their spot on the list of famous movie couples. Adrian and Rocky stick together through countless boxing matches and many sequels.
- Juno and Bleeker from “Juno” (2007). Best friends Juno MacGuff and Paulie Bleeker, the most recent twosome to make the list of famous movie couples, accidentally make a baby the one time they have sex. Ellen Page plays Juno, and Michael Cera plays Paulie. Page received an Oscar nomination for the role.
- Jack and Rose from “Titanic” (1997). Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet portray this tragic fictional pair. Rose is a woman from the upper class and Jack is a poor artist. They fall in love during the ill-fated voyage.
- Baby and Johnny from “Dirty Dancing” (1987). Featuring a summer romance, forbidden love and salacious dancing in the 1960s, “Dirty Dancing” also gives us the duo Baby and Johnny. Jennifer Grey plays Baby, a young girl from a wealthy family, and Patrick Swayze portrays Johnny, a dance instructor. Baby and Johnny cross the lines of social status and class and fall in love.
- Felix and Oscar from “The Odd Couple” (1968). The only non-romantic pair to make the list of 10 famous movie couples, Felix and Oscar were mismatched BFF and roommates. "The Odd Couple" was originally a play, then a movie, and became a TV series in 1970. In the movie version, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau play Felix and Oscar.
Posted on: Jun. 17, 2010