You know it is the world's largest democracy, with a lot of people running for office, but can you name 10 famous politicians in India? When a nation has a billion people, being important must mean being very important. Here is a short list of the winners in the world biggest popularity contest; you probably already know who is number one on the list.
- Mahatma Gandhi Who hasn't heard of Gandhi? Everybody knows his political skills and non-violent ways led to him to become the father of India. He also looked a lot like Ben Kingsly, which is notable.
- Jawaharlal Nehru India’s first Prime Minister, he dedicated his whole life to protest against British rule in India.
- Indira Gandhi The first female Prime Minister of India, she lifted up the Congress and made a difference in politics with her bold speeches. On the other hand, she also oversaw the creation of India's atomic bomb.
- Rajiv Gandhi Another Gandhi. (Noticing a pattern?) By entering into politics at a young age, he made a tremendous mark.
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad The first President after India won its independence.
- Sonia Gandhi Next to Indira Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi stands at the top of politicians in India who have worked hard in uplifting the Congress Party.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee A multi-faceted personality who was elected as the eleventh Prime Minister of India. With his elegant speech, he won the hearts of many people
- Dr. Manmohan Singh A man who maintains a reputation of good leadership by his service, has been elected Prime Minister of India before, and is again the Prime Minister today.
- Kamaraj By providing many facilities to the poor, he made a tremendous change in Tamil Nadu people’s life and became one of the ten most famous politicians in India
- M. Karunanidhi The chief minister of Tamil Nadu has been working throughout his life. By delivering his speech in a different way to the public, he has won the hearts the local villages in Tamil Nadu and achieved national fame..
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.