In a state with a rich political heritage, it is easy to name 10 famous politicians from Texas. With four presidents coming from Texas and countless well-known Congress members, the state has had a heavy influence on American politics. Here are the ten most famous politicians from Texas in no particular order:
- Ann Richards. As the former governor of Texas, Ann Richards is one of the most famous politicians from Texas. With her perfectly coifed hair and quick wit, Richards fit the bill of a Texas politician. Long after her death, Richard's spirit lives on.
- Charlie Wilson. One of the most famous politicians from Texas was the illustrious Charlie Wilson. The representative from Deep East Texas is one of the most well-known politicians in the history of Congress. His notoriety only grew following the release of a movie based on his involvement with Afghanistan.
- George W. Bush. Although he wasn't born in the state of Texas, former president George W. Bush is thought to be one of the most famous politicians from the state. Bush served as governor of Texas before being elected to president in one of the most contentious presidential elections in history.
- Barbara Jordan. Becoming the first African-American woman to serve in the Congress from a Southern state solidified Barbara Jordan's place as a famous politician from Texas. Jordan delivered the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention in 1976.
- Lloyd Bentsen. Before becoming the Secretary of the Treasury, Lloyd Bentsen served as a senator from Texas. Bentsen also was tapped to be the running mate for Michael Dukakis in the 1988 presidential election.
- Lyndon B. Johnson. After being sworn in following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson took on the difficult task of leading a country through the grieving process. Johnson took over the country during the midst of domestic and international troubles. It is for his leadership and the difficult circumstances he faced, he is one of the more famous politicians from Texas.
- Dwight Eisenhower. Serving as the president, Dwight Eisenhower is a famous politician from Texas. Although he was raised in Kansas, he was born in Texas.
- Kay Bailey Hutchinson. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson has gained more attention nationally in the last few years. Her popularity spurred her to bid an unsuccessful run in the gubernatorial race in Texas.
- H. Ross Perot. Parodies of H. Ross Perot on "Saturday Night Live" made him one of the most famous politicians from Texas. Perot's infamy will lie in his bid for president in 1992 and 1996.
- George H.W. Bush. Although the senior Bush was born in Massachusetts, he has made it very clear that he is a Texan. Following his presidency, Bush opted to settle in Texas with his wife.
Texas politicians manage to stay active on the national scene. Maybe it's the size of the state. More than likely, it is the boldness that is a part of each and every Texan.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …