Here are ten famous quotes from “The Notebook,” a 2004 film starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, and Gena Rowlands. Based on the best selling novel by Nicholas Sparks, “The Notebook” tells the story of a poor, passionate young man who falls in love with a wealthy, privileged young woman. Social differences separate the two, but they never stop loving each other. Here are the most memorable quotes from the movie.
- “I’m gonna ask you one more time, will you or will you not go out with me? I think my hand’s slipping.” Topping the list of famous quotes from "The Notebook" is this line from Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling). He asks Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams) on a date, while hanging from a Ferris wheel.
- “What happens if a car comes?” Allie asks Noah this question while they are lying in the middle of a street. “We die,” Noah replies.
- “Get in the water, woman. Get in the water!” Noah yells this command to a puzzled Allie, only to quietly reassure her with a calm voice, “I’m sorry, baby.” But when his friends start yellling at him, Noah yells at Allie even louder.
- “Most of the time I have all these thoughts bouncing’ around in my head, but with a brush in my hand, the world just gets kinda quiet.” This memorable line from "The Notebook" comes from Allie, who discusses her love of painting with Noah.
- “It’s not about following your heart, and it’s not about keeping your promises. It’s about security.” Talking about their relationship–and Allie's engagement to another man–Noah suggests that, for Allie, it’s all about the money (or lack of money). Money and social standing are two major issues in "The Notebook" story.
- “You smug bastar, you arrogant son of a bitch.” Allie responds to Noah’s suggestion about the money with these harsh and angry words. “I hate you for saying that," she adds.
- “We’re gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you.” Noah asks Allie to picture her life with him 30 or 40 years from now. He expresses his willingness to work at their relationship because of his love and desire for her.
- “When I’m with Noah I feel like one person, and when I’m with you I feel like someone totally different.” Allie shares her confusion with her fiance, Lon (James Marsden), who wants her–and doesn’t want to have to convince her that she should be with him.
- “I’m nothing special, just a common man with common thoughts, and I’ve lived a common live.” Years later, an aging Noah (James Garner) looks back on his life and makes an honest assessment. No great monuments were erected in his honor, he says, but his life had one glorious success.
- “I’ve loved another with all my heart and soul and, to me, this has always been enough.” In the last of the ten famous quotes from "The Notebook," Noah, the common man with a common life, remembers his lifelong love for Allie. He remarks on how this love was the one glorious success in life–and it was enough.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.