Finding 10 famous young entrepreneurs in India was not very difficult because India is very happy to encourage entrepreneurship. Enterprises newer than three years old normally grow at a rate above 50% compared to older companies. Also, one in five companies newer than three years old generates revenue annually between $100,000 and $550,000, which is quite a bit of money in India.
- Devi Shetty is one of the most famous heart specialists in India and is known for his heart operations being cost intensive and therefore available to the lower income classes. More than half his patients get treatment at cost or for free. He was named the Schwab Foundation's Social Entrepreneur of the Year in 2005.
- Shalnaz Husain is known as the "Estee Lauder of India" and as an "Herbal Beauty Queen." She has created lotions, creams, and cosmetics that are stocked in famous stores such as Harrods in London and Bloomingdales in New York.
- Satyajit Dhananjayan had to choose between his passion for photography or following in the footsteps of his parents, who were legendary dancers. In Mumbai he trained with Iqbal, a noted photographer, and became the only automobile photographer in the city after realizing how much he enjoyed taking pictures of motor vehicles.
- Vineeta Ball is the Director of the Academic Success Program. For three years she was a business litigator and then was an attorney for the Silicon Valley Law Group with some of her areas being business formation and financing.
- Amit Singh is an entrepreneur because he feels that will fulfill his dreams and encourage his people in India to achieve theirs. His first business was providing political campaigning solutions via the internet, TV, and mobile phones. His second business was a device for farmers to operate motor pumps through their mobile phones and save water and electricity. He co-founded HeadStart Foundation, which assists early stage and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Rashmi Vaswani, a postgraduate in International Management, decided that she'd rather make chocolates! After making some for her father as giveaways and then through stalls at bazaars, her father decided to invest in a company for her. RAGE's custom-made personalized gift boxes are packaged for birthdays, weddings, any other special event, and also feature logos for companies to give as gifts to their customers. RAGE now has two trained chefs among its 10 employees and sells its products in a mall kiosk and also online.
- Satya Vyas also decided on food as his business. He turned down a lucrative job with an engineering service to start Diet Foodz, which delivers health-conscious food to homes and offices. Rather than work at a job and then go for his MBA, he decided to learn marketing, human resources, and other business skills on his own.
- Amit Kataria wanted to contribute to his village's betterment and began the ROSE Computer Academy when he was only 19 years old. The fully-furnished lab has 10 computers that are used to teach computer skills. More than 200 students have successfully completed the courses. ROSE also has coaching classes from first grade through graduation, and over 80 students have gone to those classes. Amit's plans are to open branches all over India to educate children, spread computer literacy, and enable students to easily earn a livelihood.
- Naina Lai Kidwal was named in 2003 as one of the world's most powerful businesswomen. She is recognized as one of the most prominent investment bankers in India.
- Inir Pinheiro, with his non-profit Grassroutes venture, has developed destinations across India where the tourism is managed and owned by the local villagers. Inir became an entrepreneur in order to open opportunities for these village communities.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.