10 Fashion Photography Tips
Fashion photography is one of the most necessary forms of photography and these 10 fashion photography tips will help put you on the right path to being an amazing fashion photographer. Fashion photography is very important for magazines and advertising. There is always a need for a great fashion photographer and with the right skills, you could be the one.
- The focus of fashion photography should always be the fashion. It is very easy to get caught up in the location and the props in the background. While these are important elements, they shouldn’t be the main focus. The piece of fashion being showcased should be the focal point. Don’t spend inordinate amounts of time creating an amazing scene with props if they are going to outdo the model.
- Every element should play into the piece of fashion. The location, props and makeup should all be reflective of the model. If your model is wearing something bright, try shooting outside on a sunny day or use flowers in your shoot. Makeup and hair are just as important; think of how people wear their hair on warm days. Also try to go with bright eyeshadows and lip colors.
- Any space can be a potential space for fashion photography. If you can’t go to a studio to take your photos, try another location. For a darker photo shoot, try stairwells and alleys. If you’re looking for something brighter, consider a park or a backyard.
- Photo editing software is your friend! Not every photo comes out just how you want it; there may be problems with lighting, colors and maybe even the model. Utilize photo editing software to fix any mistakes. You can also edit the model as well.
- Communicate with your model. Since photography is your artistic vision, there is absolutely nothing wrong with directing the model. Grab hold of the reins and make sure you get the desired effect. Tell your model how to sit, stand, move and stare if you have to, as long as in the end you get the fashion photo you were hoping for.
- Be prepared to move around and get dirty. Sometimes the best photo is taken from an odd angle; this may involve lying on your back, shooting upwards. If you’re outside, you may have to climb a tree and shoot from above. Don’t shy away from getting up on your feet and moving all around. You may capture an edgy fashion photo just from stepping on a step ladder. Explore every possible angle you can.
- Keep your equipment up to date. Disposable cameras are great for grandmas going on vacation, but just about everyone else has some type of digital camera. Stay in the loop and make sure that your camera and camera equipment is the latest technology. Cameras do so much more than they used to and with competition between each camera company, you can always look forward to a new cutting edge feature that may take your fashion photography to the next level.
- Go in with a vision. If you are preparing for a fashion photo shoot, sit down and gather some ideas. If it is possible, take a look at the spot the photo shoot will take place in before the shoot; use this time to think of different angles to shoot from and anything else that will serve as motivation.
- Keep yourself involved in the fashion world. Fashion is constantly changing; make sure you are “in the know” when it comes to the latest fashion. Know the hot colors and what the hot items are. Even if you cannot change what the model is wearing, you can incorporate new fashions by having a hot new item somewhere in the photo shoot, even it is just a jacket laying somewhere in the photo.
- Go with the flow of the photo shoot. If you feel led in another direction during the fashion photo shoot, go with it; your inspiration and motivation may change frequently. Do not be afraid to completely abandon one idea and move on to the next. And if you ever feel like the shoot isn’t working, try something completely new.