10 Fashion Tips for Large Men
Big men can look as stylish as the next guy with these 10 fashion tips for large men. One of the greatest stereotypes about larger men is that they have to be sloppy and less fashionable than men of a lesser size. The truth is, that while style advice and tips for other guys are easily found and frequently shared, it isn't as easy to find quality fashion tips for large men. Although there are definitely department stores that cater to the larger male, it can be difficult to know what to buy to look your best and what to avoid so you won't look your worst. The following fashion tips are basic guidelines to keep in mind when next faced with an intimidating rack of clothes and a wardrobe in need of updating.
- Watch your posture. When it comes to clothing, one of the most important tips for large men is to always stand tall. That doesn't mean you have to be the tallest man around, but always stand straight, with shoulders back and stomach tight. No matter what you choose to wear, if you're slouching then the clothing won't look as good as it's meant to.
- Open up the neckline. Buy shirts and sweaters that have an open or v-neckline versus one that is closed, rounded or tight about the neck. Showing off the neck area will bring attention to your face and make the neck look leaner.
- Avoid baggy clothing. Forget jeans that sag and shirts that leave enough room for your girlfriend to crawl in with you. Baggy clothes only make large men look larger and not in a positive way. Instead choose attire that fits comfortably; not too loose or too tight.
- Don't wear clothing that is too tight. As stated above, it is important to wear the garments that fit you properly. Steer clear of clothing that is binding and ill-fitting. The goal when clothing large men is to accentuate the positive features and not to bring attention to ones that are less flattering.
- Wear suit jackets with triple buttons. We've all seen the large man with the suit jacket straining to stay closed with one button. Always wear suit jackets that are secured with three buttons down the middle. It portrays a lean, polished and confident appearance.
- Avoid tight belts. If what categorizes you as a large man has more to do with your middle than your height, avoid wearing belts that cut across the stomach. Instead choose to wear your shirt free of your pants as long as it isn't too large, long or tight.
- Layer your clothing. Another fashion tip for camouflaging a belly is to layer your clothing. Choose items that are not bulky and pair well together. A v-neck sweater under a lightweight jacket work well together.
- Get a tailor. Of the 10 fashion tips noted here, the most important for large men is to find a tailor that you trust. A good tailor will be your secret weapon in having fashion that fits perfectly. Take any items already in your closet that aren't fitting properly and see what alterations can be made. Improving how you dress doesn't always mean you have to spend a lot of money.
- Be wary of busy prints. There always seems to be periods in fashion that involve men and busy, loud prints. For some men this look works and they can easily carry it off. For large men however, busy prints are the enemy.
- Buy quality. For the most part, clothing for large men tends to be slightly more expensive than for men of average stature. Don't let this force your hand into buying clothing that are too inexpensive in order to save a buck. The old saying “You get what you pay for” still holds true and you may find yourself replacing the cheaper garment a lot faster than if you'd spent more for quality and fine craftsmanship.
By applying these 10 fashion tips for large men into how you shop for, buy and wear your clothing you can take the first positive step in having a quality wardrobe that suits your larger stature.