With record sales declining every year, the 10 fastest-selling albums of the 2000 may never again be equaled. Keep in mind that "fastest-selling" doesn't necessarily mean "biggest-selling," which is why first-week sales are taken into account on this list.
- 'NSync "No Strings Attached" Released in Spring of 2000, this infectious pop album sold 2,415,859 units in its first week alone, the biggest one-week debut in history on its way to eleven million in total sales. At its peak, the hysteria attached to the band rivaled "Beatlemania" in the early 1960s.
- Usher "Confessions" Heralded for reviving album sales that had been sagging for three years, this 2004 release sold 1.1 million copies in its first week. Buoyed by the success of singles like the catchy "Yeah" and the introspective "Confessions," the album sold eight million units in 2004 alone and was the second biggest-selling title of the decade.
- Eminem "The Marshall Mathers LP" Late spring 2000 saw the release of the controversial rapper's much-anticipated third album, which sold 1.76 million in its first week and nine million overall. Rife with incendiary lyrics and songs that cross the line into homophobia and misogyny, the album is the fastest-selling solo album ever, one of the ten fastest-selling albums of the 2000s and one of the best-selling titles of all time.
- Eminem "The Eminem Show" Quieter and more reflective than "The Marshall Mathers LP," this 2002 album sold 1.32 million units its first week and spawned five singles including the cathartic "Cleanin' Out My Closet" and was nominated for Album of the Year at the 2003 Grammy Awards. With over nine million units sold, the album is ranked 84th on "Rolling Stone's" best albums of the 2000.
- 'NSync "Celebrity" The boy band showed they weren't one-hit wonders, claiming two of the ten fastest-selling albums of 2000 with this follow-up to "No Strings Attached." After 1.87 million sold in its first week, "Celebrity" was an appropriate title for this musical juggernaut.
- Backstreet Boys "Black and Blue" Not to be outdone by their pop rivals, 'NSync, the Backstreet Boys stormed out of the gate in winter of 2000 with this album that moved 1.59 million copies its first week and sold eight million by the end of its run.
- Britney Spears "Oops!…I Did it Again" After the success of her debut album, Spears faced crippling pressure to deliver on her sophomore effort and the results were unprecedented. Her second album released in May 2000, sold 500,000 its first day in stores and over 1.3 million for the week, setting a record as the biggest first-week sales for a female artist and one of the ten fastest-selling albums of the decade. Yes, radio stations are now over-saturated with teen-driven pop, but Spears started the trend.
- The Beatles "1" Proof that great bands make timeless music, this release of The Beatles' singles sold an eye-popping 1.2 million copies its first week of release in December 2000 and steady sales through the holidays propelled the final tally to over ten million albums sold.
- 50 Cent "The Massacre" An urban rapper with a true-life resume spotted with violence and near-death, 50 Cent's second album was released in March 2005, debuting at number one with 1.1 million copies sold. Mixing dark tales of urban decay and drug-fueled shootouts with party anthems like "Just a Lil' Bit" and "Disco Inferno," the album had widespread appeal. Add in the fact that 50 Cent was discovered and mentored by Eminem and Dr. Dre, and you have all the ingredients needed to make one of the ten fastest-selling albums of 2000.
- Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" A soothing mélange of jazz, folk and acoustic pop, Jones' debut album dropped in February 2002 and only sold 50,000 copies initially, then gained momentum with sterling reviews and enthusiastic word-of-mouth. By August 2002, the album had gone platinum and by 2005,10.5 million copies had sold, easily one of the fastest selling albums of 2000, which was nominated for eight Grammy Awards and won five.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.