Adding fiber to your diet is simple with this is a list of 10 foods that are high in fiber. Including fiber in your diet will improve poor bowel function, constipation, bloating and be beneficial for your overall health. The current recommendations for daily fiber intake is at least 20 grams. The more calories you consume the more fiber you should consume. Many men require approximately 30 to 35 grams of fiber per day to maintain a healthy diet.
- Fruits are the richest sources of fiber. Incorporating fruit into your diet is one of the best tasting and easiest ways to include fiber into your diet, for example having one un-peeled apple will provide you with 3-5 grams of fiber. There are several fruits that will provide you 4 or more grams of fiber, such as one Banana or one fresh fig provides 2 to 4 grams of fiber and one large pear has 5 to 6 grams of fiber.
- Include vegetables in your diet for plenty of fiber. Vegetables taste great and are also excellent sources of fiber. Eating ½ cup of green beans, ½ cup Brussels sprouts or ½ cup of celery provides two grams of fiber per serving. Tomatoes, broccoli, greens, potatoes, sweet corn, peas or carrots average 4 to 6 grams per serving.
- Adding beans to your diet will provide a lot of beneficial fiber. The beans can be lima which have 4-6 grams of fiber or to get a larger dose of daily fiber by eating beans try black, great northern, kidney, pinto, white, garbanzo or baked beans. Each type has approximately six to ten grams of fiber per serving.
- Eat more berries. Both blackberries and raspberries contain four to five grams of fiber. Adding berries to your diet can be sometimes as simple as topping off your cereal in the morning. If you hungry for a snack at midday, grab a handful of raspberries, blackberries or both.
- Bread. Have two slices of whole wheat, pumpernickel or seven grain bread daily, to add four to seven grams of fiber to your diet. Just having a slice of toast in the morning will give you additional fiber or have a sandwich made with two slices of bread with a serving of lean turkey for a great lunch.
- Oatmeal or corn bran. Having one cup of oatmeal or ¼ cup of corn bran for breakfast will provide you with two grams of daily fiber. Oatmeal is no longer the way you remember it as a kid, it is now quick to prepare and available in several flavors. Try adding a handful of blueberries to add flavor and get extra fiber.
- Popcorn. Get two grams of fiber the next time you sit down to watch a movie by eating two cups of popcorn. Microwave popcorn also makes a quick and delicious midday snack. Remember to purchase brands that are low in calories and do not have large amounts of butter to get the most benefits.
- Go nuts. Eating walnuts, pecans and peanuts for a snack will provide you with small amounts of fiber. Snacking on nuts is an inexpensive way to get a dose of fiber and they are a quick no fuss snack.
- Pickles. The amount of fiber in pickles is small but, they are great snacks to get small amounts of fiber. Pickles may only have a small amount of fiber but, when they are added to sandwiches made with bread containing larger doses, it makes for a simple way to add flavorful fiber.
- Bran cereals. Eating a bowl of all bran, raisin bran or another favorite cereal provides five to ten grams of fiber each day. Throw your thoughts about bran cereal out the window, bran cereal has changed from what your parents ate. There are several great varieties available, some with berries, honey and other great tasting additions.
Use this list of 10 foods that are high in fiber, as a reference to get the amount of fiber needed daily. Also important is that adequate liquid be present for good bowel function. Each fiber particle will actually absorb liquid in the colon and help facilitate the desired regular movement along in the bowels
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)