The 10 foods to avoid with gout can aggravate the symptoms of gout. Foods that are high in purines and high in protein lead to the development of gout and exacerbate the symptoms.
- Fatty and fried foods. Among the ten foods to avoid with gout are fatty and fried foods. Foods that have a high fat content have been linked to attacks of gout. One of the top causes of gout is obesity. Fatty and fried foods are two big culprits when it comes to obesity. It's a vicious cycle.
- Yeast. Yeast is among the foods to avoid with gout. Yeast is high in purines, which can increase your chances of experiencing a flare-up of gout.
- Anchovies. Among the foods that are high in purines are anchovies. For this reason, anchovies is one of the foods to avoid with gout.
- Liver. Liver has been known to cause problems for people with gout. Eating liver can lead to a flare-up of gout symptoms.
- Herring. Herring is another food that is hign in purines. You should avoid herring altogether to avoid exacerbating gout symptoms.
- Meat extracts. Meat extracts such as Oxo and Bovril may lead to a flare-up of gout symptoms. The meat extracts are also high in purines.
- Scallops. Scallops are among the ten foods to avoid with gout because it is high in purines as well. Although scallops are generally thought to be a fairly healthy food by most people, for people with gout this is a food to avoid.
- Gravy. Gravy is a rich food that can contribute to a flare-up of gout symptoms. Most gravies have some sort of meat-base, which may aggravate gout symptoms.
- Sweetbreads. Sweetbreads are extremely high in purines and another of the foods to avoid with gout.
- Beef kidneys. Beef kidneys are high in purines as well. That is why beef kidneys are considered a food to avoid with gout.
Having gout does not mean you have to avoid all of your favorites. There are many other foods that have a moderate amount of purines that are safe to eat on an occasional basis. Bacon, salmon, and turkey are examples of foods that contain a moderate amount of purines and are fine to eat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.