The 10 foods that cause diarrhea come in a vast array of food categories. A person who has suffered from diarrhea knows how it can totally disrupt your life without a moments notice. If you are already suffering from some sort of stomach disorder then there are certain foods that must be avoided. Below are 10 foods that cause diarrhea.
- Milk is one of the foods that cause diarrhea especially in lactose intolerant individuals. It is advisable to stay away from all dairy products to avoid any pain or flatulence which can cause the symptoms to become more pronounced.
- Hot peppers are another one of the foods that cause diarrhea. The tricky thing about hot peppers is that it takes a few hours before the diarrhea begins. A compound in the peppers called capsaicin is what triggers the diarrhea to begin. Also some people find the seeds and skin of the peppers difficult to pass through.
- Artificial fat also known as Olestra is also a food that causes diarrhea. Olestra is an artificial fat substitute which causes anal leakage and diarrhea. It is most often found in potato chips especially the light, low-fat or fat free chips. Olestra passes right through the body without being absorbed which is what causes the diarrhea.
- Sugar substitutes are another item found in foods that cause diarrhea. Food additives such as sorbitol and mannitol are found in a variety of foods from yogurt to candy. These sweeteners cause gas and bloating because they are not absorbed well in the intestines. Bacteria in the bowel eat these sugars which causes more gas.
- Caffeine is also a food that can cause diarrhea. Caffeine causes stimulation in the gastrointestinal tract which leads to strong contractions and more bowel movements. Also caffeine has a diuretic effect which can worsen the dehydration caused by the diarrhea.
- Insoluble fiber is another one of the foods that cause diarrhea. Raw fruits, raw vegetables, seeds and nuts can act as very powerful stimulants to the digestive system which will cause diarrhea. Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water and passes straight into the intestines causing gas and diarrhea.
- Acidic foods can also cause diarrhea. Citrus fruits, vinegar and cooked tomatoes all must be eaten with care because their high acidity can cause major distress in the gastrointestinal tract. If eaten with soluble fiber they can be eaten in small quantities since they will soak up the water or acid which causes the diarrhea.
- Fructose is another food that can cause diarrhea. Fructose found in honey or fruit juices that have fructose can cause diarrhea. Fructose will cause gas, bloating and diarrhea so if it must be eaten, it is advisable to eat with soluble fiber.
- Sulfur containing foods also cause diarrhea. Foods such as garlic, onions, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage have high amounts of insoluble fiber which is a major cause of gas and diarrhea in the gastrointestinal system.
- Legumes are another food that can cause diarrhea. Any type of legume such as beans, soy beans, lima beans or peas will pass through to the small intestine and arrive in the large intestine completely undigested. The undigested legume will cause major flatulence and diarrhea. Legumes should be consumed with soluble fiber to prevent diarrhea. Beans are known to contain more indigestible carbohydrates than most foods.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …