Eating 10 foods that contain folic acid can ensure that you to get your daily reference intakes (DRI) of folic acid which is 400 micrograms per day for adults per day. Folic acid (folate) helps the body to form genetic material and red blood cells and is essential for pregnant women so it is important to include foods that contain folic acid in your diet.
- Fortified breakfast cereal. Cereals differ in the amount of folic acid that they contain. Some have 100% of the RDA. Check the labels to find one with a high percentage.
- Whole wheat products. Besides bread, try whole wheat pitas, pasta, crackers, and tortillas. You can combine these wheat products with other folate-rich foods such as tomato sauce in pasta or beans in the tortillas.
- Beans. Most dried beans are a rich source of folic acid. Have a ½ -cup serving of beans at a meal gets you almost a third of the way toward your goal. Legumes such as lentils and chickpeas are even higher in folate.
- Liver. Liver is one of the foods that contain folic acid in the highest amount. One serving of liver can deliver almost twice your DRI. Most nutritionists recommend it be eaten in moderation due to the high levels of cholesterol.
- Eggs. A three-egg omelet has about one fourth of the folic acid that you need. Eggs also supply protein and a host of other vitamins and minerals.
- Leafy green vegetables. A serving of green food such as spinach, romaine lettuce or kale can supply a third of the amount of folic acid needed every day. These greens are also rich in other vitamins and low in calories.
- Oranges. Drinking a glass of orange juice is a good way to get your folic acid. Other citrus such as pineapple and grapefruit are good sources of folate.
- Strawberries. These berries are the highest in folic acid of any fruit. One serving contains about 20% of the folate you need in a day. They also increase your intake of fiber and are low-calorie snacks.
- Sunflower seeds. Among foods that contain folic acid nuts and seeds are high on the list. Sunflower seeds are exceptionally rich in folate but other options include sesame seeds and walnuts.
- Beer. That’s right, the yeast in beer contains folate. Now you finally have a sound nutritional reason to drink beer. However it probably shouldn’t be a primary source of folic acid in your diet.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.