Eating these 10 foods that contain zinc can help keep your immune system remain healthy and the current recommended daily allowance for zinc is 15 mg. People deficient in zinc can experience hair loss, impotence, eye and skin lesions and stunted growth. Consuming plenty of these foods will ensure that you are getting enough of this essential mineral.
- Steamed Wild Eastern Oysters. While all oysters provide a certain amount of zinc, steamed wild Eastern oysters contain 182 mg per 100 gram serving size. They are low in saturated fat and calories, so they are a sensible choice for someone watching their weight.
- Toasted Wheat Germ. This tasty food is commonly used to sprinkle on top of salads, rice or steamed vegetables. It contains 17 mg of zinc per 100 gram serving size and is easy to add to any healthy diet. Keep this superfood handy and add it to your arsenal of foods that contain zinc.
- Veal Liver. Liver is usually prepared steamed or fried with onions and contains 12 mg per 100 gram serving. Veal liver is also high in vitamin A and loaded with protein, making it a great food to stock up on to meet your daily nutritional needs.
- Low Fat Roast Beef. Beef shoulder, shank and chuck all contain approximately 10 mg zinc per 100 gram serving size. This provides 70 percent of the recommended daily allowance for zinc, and it’s also high in protein and a good source of iron.
- Roasted Squash or Pumpkin Seeds. These can be found at Asian supermarkets and contain approximately 10 mg per 100 gram serving size. These seeds can be roasted in the oven or eaten raw by removing the outer shell. They do contain between 450 and 550 calories per serving, so if you’re dieting you may want to limit your intake of this superfood option.
- Coco Powder. This unsweetened ingredient is used in baked goods and contains 9.6 mg per 100 gram serving size. It is also loaded with iron, copper and magnesium, but watch out for the fat content. It contains 501 calories and 32 grams of saturated fat. This is definitely one ingredient you will want to eat sparingly.
- Alaska King Crab. Seafood lovers will like the health advantages of this tasty food and it contains 6.5 mg of zinc per 3 oz serving size. It is also low in fat and calories and high in protein. The sodium content runs between 45 and 60 percent of the daily-recommended value, so you may want to limit consumption to once a week.
- Fortified Cereals. These cereals are loaded with zinc and other essential vitamins and minerals. They contain 52 mg of zinc per 100 gram serving size, making fortified cereal worthy of the ten foods that contain zinc list. These cereals are also high in dietary fiber and protein, so be sure to add them to your breakfast food options.
- Dry Roasted Cashews. This tasty snack is loaded with 5.6 mg of zinc per 100 gram serving size and they can easily be taken on the road for a quick and healthy snack. They are also high in vitamin K, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, and they can be found in the dried nut section of many grocery stores.
- Cheddar Cheese. Many people love cheese and it’s a delicious way to get more zinc in your diet. It contains 3.1 mg of zinc per 100 gram serving size and can be added to sandwiches, salads and omelets. It’s one food that you won’t mind eating plenty of and it is also high in calcium.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …