What are 10 foods that improve memory? Can diet actually improve cognitive ability? Most certainly. By consuming plenty of the right nutrients for brain health you can not only improve memory, but also prevent memory loss. At the same time, not eating a well-balanced diet can be a factor in impaired mental ability, especially over the long-term. Add these 10 foods that improve memory to your diet.
- Wild salmon is rich in essential fatty acids. Fish is brain food, you may have heard this statement before. Go for fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, herring, tuna, and lake trout. They are rich in omega-3 oils, which are important for brain health. Low levels are associated with impaired brain function.
- Improve memory with blueberries. Snack on these tart little berries, toss them into smoothies, enjoy them for dessert. It is believed that the high concentration of flavonoids in blueberries will help with memory retention.
- Eat garlic. This is one of the best foods to improve memory. Garlic has actually been found to have memory-enhancing properties. Raw garlic is the most effective way to enjoy the health benefits of this food.
- Switch to brown rice. Getting rid of the white rice and eating brown rice instead is one of the best moves you can make to improve memory and cognitive ability. This is because brown rice is packed with valuable nutrients such as the B vitamins and valuable amino acids. White rice on the other hand has only a fraction of the nutrition and as a refined carbohydrate is more likely to impair your cognitive ability rather than to sharpen it.
- Almonds. Snack on these nuts for memory enhancement. Almonds are great sources of boron, which improves brain function, as well as magnesium for the well-being of nerves, and vitamin E, which improves blood flow to the brain.
- Eat plenty of citrus. Enjoy a fresh grapefruit or orange every morning with breakfast. The vitamin C plus bioflavonoids in these foods will help to improve memory by increasing circulation.
- Add sunflower seeds to your diet. If you don't eat them already, start eating sunflower seeds as a brain healthy snack. These seeds are a good source of vitamin E, vitamin B5, magnesium, and manganese, all of which are important for improving memory. They are also a great source of amino acids.
- Avocados. Rich in essential fatty acids, vitamin E, and folic acid, which has been shown in studies to help protect brain function, avocados are one of the important foods that improve memory.
- Eat your green leafy vegetables. High in antioxidants to protect cells from damage, foods such as spinach, kale, and collard greens are an important part of a diet to help improve memory.
- Beans are a good thing. All legumes, from lentils to soy beans are foods that improve memory. Beans are great sources of a variety of valuable amino acids, antioxidants, and B vitamins.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.