When you're feeling down, try eating one of these 10 foods that make you happy. Certain foods can improve your mood by providing needed nutrients or changing your brain chemistry. Eating these "happy" foods can give your mood a boost.
- Chocolate is a classic "happy" food. It stimulates the brain's production of endorphins, which create a sense of euphoria. Chocolate also contains phenethylamine, a chemical that can make you happy.
- Salmon and other oily fish make you happy. This is because salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can be used to treat clinical depression. If you don't like fish, try omega-3 supplements.
- Nuts, such as walnuts and pecans, also contain omega-3 fatty acids. In addition, they can make you happy with the stress-relieving power of vitamin E.
- Licorice contains glycyrrhizin, which helps decrease stress. It also contains isoflavan and isoflavene, which can treat depression. Just make sure you get real, naturally-flavored licorice, not artificially-flavored licorice which might not include the compounds that make you happy.
- Sesame seeds contain threonine. A study at Princeton found that depressed people have low threonine levels. They also contain glutamine, a necessary part of the mood-enhancing compound gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA).
- Milk contains whey protein, which decreases anxiety, and calcium, which relaxes your muscles. It also contains tryptophan, which helps your mind produce the natural antidepressant seratonin.
- Strawberries contain vitamin C. Vitamin C aids in endorphin production. They also contain potassium, which helps nerve impulses, and pelargonidin, which helps boost your mood.
- Spinach contains the B-vitamin folic acid, which makes you happy by aiding seratonin production . One cup of cooked spinach provides 250 micrograms of folic acid.
- Wine relaxes the central nervous system and lowers your blood pressure. While it's not good to overindulge, a glass of wine each day can help make you happy and boost your health with antioxidants.
- Coffee contains caffeine, which in small doses can make you happy and improve your mental focus. According to a Brazilian study, people who drink coffee daily are less likely to be depressed.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …