10 Frugal Meal Ideas
If you need to save some money on the grocery bill, here are 10 frugal meal ideas that will ensure you still have flavor and variety with your meals. Planning ahead can really cut down on grocery costs.
- Go generic. You may still be able to make some of your more costly meals if you pick up generic ingredients. Generic foods have come a long way in improving flavor, and open many possibilities for frugal meal ideas.
- Chili. Make a big batch of chili in the slow cooker, and freeze leftovers for future meals. Ground beef is a cheap form of meat that can be incorporated into many frugal meal ideas.
- Soup. Soup is a cheap and filling frugal meal idea that has many possibilities, and is especially ideal in the colder months. Heat up some canned soup or make some homemade soup with leftover vegetables and meat.
- Homemade pizza. You can still enjoy pizza if you put a little extra effort into it; by making the dough from scratch you can save extra cash. Again, save leftover meat and veggies and use them as pizza toppings. Other frugal meal ideas could include making stromboli or calzones.
- Tuna noodle casserole. Tuna noodle casserole does not require any expensive ingredients, and is a quick and easy frugal meal idea for busy weekdays.
- Spaghetti. Cook some pasta and add a jar of spaghetti sauce for a frugal meal that is generally under five dollars. Add some ground hamburger and make your own garlic bread.
- Potatoes. Potatoes are a cheap vegetable that can be bought in bulk. The meal ideas with potatoes are endless. You can make mashed potatoes, twice-baked potatoes, hash browns, chips or add them into a casserole.
- Sandwich night. Make one night of the week a sandwich night, which has the added benefit of being a quick frugal meal on a busy weeknight. Pick a different variety of meats, cheeses and breads each week to keep it fun.
- Meatless meals. Many health guides are suggesting we often have too much meat in our diets. Meatless Mondays are a popular source of frugal meal ideas, as meat is often one of the most expensive ingredients.
- Hot dogs. Hot dogs are a cheap meal that can feed a family for under five to ten dollars.
Posted on: Apr. 06, 2010