Well-written comedies make us laugh, and it can be a challenge to narrow down the 10 funniest movie quotes of all time. But these lines, from classic movies both modern and old, always bring a laugh.
- “I’ll have what she’s having.” – "When Harry Met Sally." After Sally loudly fakes an orgasm in a restaurant, another diner (director Rob Reiner’s mom) says this line to her waiter, definitely one of the 10 funniest movie quotes.
- “Puttin' on the Ritz!” – "Young Frankenstein." This entry on the 10 funniest movie quotes of all time is not said, but sung. And it’s the way it’s sung– by Frankenstein’s monster, dressed in top hat and tails, with garbled voice– that makes it a priceless delivery.
- "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" – "Dr. Strangelove." President Merkin Muffley, oblivious to the irony, says this to men arguing in the fictional “war room” in this farcical classic about nuclear annihilation.
- “This one goes to 11.” – "Spinal Tap." Clueless Nigel is touting his amplifier that goes past 10 and to a level of 11. When the documentary filmmaker following the band around questions the benefits of an 11 scale, Nigel, stymied, can simply repeat this line, one of the funniest movie quotes of all time.
- “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – "Jaws." This is the only entry in the 10 funniest movie quotes of all time that comes from a drama. In fact, the line is not meant to be funny, but watching the movie so many years later, knowing just how much of a shark the crew is going to be dealing with makes the wry observation from Brody laughable.
- “I don't think they make a 'Sorry your dodgeball coach just got crushed by two tons of irony' Hallmark card.” – "Dodgeball." Peter is lamenting the fact that their now-dead coach, Patches O’Houlihan, was directly under a falling sign advertising a bar titled “Luck of the Irish.”
- “So… if I'm here, and you're here, doesn't that make it 'our' time?” – "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." This entry on the funniest movie quotes of all time comes when Jeff Spicoli– ever a thorn in the side of Mr. Hand- questions Mr. Hands admonishment of wasting “his time” in class.
- “Orange mocha Frappuccino!” – "Zoolander." This is the loud proclamation of the male models when trying to cheer up Derek, followed by a montage of the models spraying each other with gasoline over Wham’s “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.”
- “I immediately regret this decision!” – "Anchorman." Ron Burgundy shouts this as soon as he jumps into the bear pit at the zoo, one of the funniest movie quotes of all time.
- “Those aren’t pillows!.” – "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." This is what Neal shouts to Del after Del tells him hands are between two pillows. The two are inadvertently cuddling in a bed they were forced to share. Did you doubt Steve Martin wouldn't make the list of funniest movie quotes of all time?
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.