They say that the key to a great relationship is a strong sense of humor, so a list of 10 funny movie couples might be the best way to gain some important insight. Here are some of the funniest movie couples of all time (in no particular order) to show you how to laugh and fall in love!
- Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz in "The Long, Long Trailer." Long before they hit it big on that blinking picture box in the living room, Lucy and Desi were making a splash at the movies. "The Long, Long Trailer" is classic, campy fun. With Lucy's legendary comic gifts and Desi's remarkable talent as a straight man in full force, this movie is chock full of slapstick, misdirection, laughter and romance.
- Colin Firth and Lúcia Moniz in "Love Actually." A major British actor and a beginning Portuguese actress came together in this film to create one of the most delicately sweet and funny movie couples of all time. Despite their language barrier, these two manage to communicate through the language of love. Their innocent confusion and stumbling affection are memorable indeed.
- Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal in "When Harry Met Sally." A comic giant meets America's sweetheart and hilarity ensues. His dark cynicism and her sunny optimism show us why opposites attract and how frustrating it can be when they do, but the audience is better off for it, because few movie couples have had disagreements as hysterically funny as this couple's were.
- Larry David and Evan Rachel Wood in "Whatever Works." A seemingly mismatched yet loving couple. David's aging, cynical character finds enlightenment and wisdom in the wide-eyed innocence and simple kindness of Wood's character. Mismatched as they may be—he's a frustrated genius and she's a disturbingly content dope—together, they're comedy gold.
- Ellen Page and Micheal Cera in "Juno." As a troubled teenage couple dealing with an unwanted pregnancy, Page and Cera are delightfully dorky and a great deal of fun. Her wit and his awkwardness make them an unlikely yet charming movie couple, and a definite source of chuckles.
- Henry Fonda and Barbra Stanwyck in "The Lady Eve." This is one of the earlier funny movie couples, and they do not disappoint! Henry Fonda's slapstick throughout this film is absolutely hilarious, and Barbra Stanwyck, burned by a parting due to a misunderstanding, outsmarts him in every way she can imagine, leaving him a confused heap until the mix-up is resolved and they reunite in joy.
- Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney in "Girl Crazy." There is just about as much deliciously funny camp in this film as you could possibly ask for. Garland and Rooney had a fantastic ability to play characters with tongues firmly planted in cheek at a very young age, and their skills are fully on display in this film. Another "opposites attract" story, but this time it's done with such knowledge of it's own silliness that it's almost parody. The witty sparring between the two leads is hilarious.
- Woody Allen and Diane Keaton in "Annie Hall." Another seemingly mismatched couple, Allen and Keaton's characters are truly in love but dealing with their age difference and his neurosis and inability to get close to anyone. Her ditzy antics and his pitiful inability to escape from his own head are painfully funny, and they are truly one of the great movie couples of all time.
- Andie MacDowell and Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day." These two have an unfair advantage over all the other movie couples, because they keep getting the opportunity to start a new relationship every day! Unfortunately for Murray's character, Phil, the first several end with him getting slapped. Phil and MacDowell's Rita go on a repetitive and hilarious journey together as they live the same day over and over again.
- Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe in "Some Like it Hot." This film is a great example of how misdirection works in a really good comedy. Curtis is in drag for a significant amount of this movie, and Monroe's character finds herself maintaining relationships with both the male and female versions of him without realizing it. Monroe's underrated comic talents are very much on display here.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.