In a music genre that specializes in tales of excessive partying and heartbreaking despair, there seem to be hundreds of tunes from which to select 10 good drunk country songs. The selections on our list have one thing in common: getting plastered. You gotta love that!
- "It’s 5 O’clock Somewhere." Alan Jackson hit the charts with a tune that every worker can relate to, making “It’s 5 O’clock Somewhere” one of the best drunk country songs of all time. We’ve all gone out for lunch, looked at the clock and thought, “It's only half-past twelve but I don't care. It's five o'clock somewhere,” and then stumbled back into work with a whole new attitude.
- "Last Name." Who’d have thought a sweet, innocent young lady like Carrie Underwood could end up married to a guy she doesn’t know? That’s what too much booze will do to a nice girl, earning “Last Name” a spot on our list of good drunk country songs.
- "Jose Cuervo." Like Carrie Underwood, Shelly West becomes one easy chick if you get her liquored up, which makes “Jose Cuervo” one good drunk country song. Partial to tequila, she downs a few too many and wakes up the next morning wondering “Who is the cowboy who’s sleeping beside me?” and concludes, “I had too much tequila last night.” Ya think?
- "Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo." Maybe Tracy Byrd is the cowboy Shelly wakes up next to, because this guy also has a weakness for Jose Cuervo. “Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo” would put most men down for the count, but Byrd keeps going and starts counting again, putting this tune on our list of tengood drunk country songs.
- "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off." This drunk country songs reveals one of the side effects of too many margaritas. Joe Nichols’ “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off” comes from the point of view of a very trusting man who, despite his girl’s weakness, allows her to go out with her friends. Let’s hope Joe’s girl isn’t Shelly West.
- "Friends in Low Places." A great sing-along country drinking song, “Friends in Low Places” is for the drunk who wants “to cause a big scene.” Let loose by his high class woman, Garth Brooks crashes her “black tie affair” and drunkenly declares, “I got friends in low places, where the whiskey drowns, and the Beer chases my blues away. And I’ll be OK.”
- "Two Pina Coladas." Another good drunk country song from Garth Brooks, once again he’s trying to get over a failed relationship and turns to Captain Morgan to help him through it. In an effort to ease his mind “by leavin' behind the heartaches that love often brings,” he commands, “Bring me two pina coladas, one for each hand.”
- "All Jacked Up". Although quite sexy, Gretchen Wilson isn’t exactly your “girlie-girl” type, so it’s no big surprise that she drinks like a man downing shots of Jack Daniel’s and getting in a bar fight with a “big ol’ girl.” Chicks fighting in a bar is all it takes to make “All Jacked Up” a great drunk country song.
- "Whiskey River." Willie Nelson may be known for liking wacky tobacky, but according to the next tune on our list of good drunk country songs, he turns to whiskey when he’s down and out. This drown-your-sorrows song has poor Willie asking “Whiskey River” to “take my mind don't let her memory torture me. Whiskey River don't run dry you're all I've got take care of me.”
- "Pour Me." The final entry on our list of good drunk country songs is another one about drowning your sorrows. Lead singer Heidi Newfield of Trick Pony commands the bartender to “Pour me, pour me, pour me, pour me another shot of whiskey” because “He left, I cried, I'm lost inside.” Sounds like maybe Willie and Heidi ought to get together.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.