10 Graduate School Application Tips
Getting into graduate school can be a daunting process, but these 10 graduate school application tips can help. The applicant should let his background shine, and make it known that they stand out from the rest. Simply by highlighting the applicant's strong points in myriad ways, the student can see himself walking through those grad school doors, ready to be the man.
- Write a great essay. This is the first of ten graduate school application tips and should be taken seriously. The essay allows the student to talk about whatever they'd like, so fusing both academic experience and personal voice is important.
- Send the resume. The resume should accompany the application. This is a significant grad school application tip—it lets admission advisors know that the student works hard, and can up with school and a job or internship.
- Send sample work. If the application asks for sample work in the form of papers, essays or a portfolio, send the very best.
- Get great recommendation letters. Ask professors who know the student's work and ethic well to write the recommendation letter. This way, they can hone in on the student's true style and personality, something that is only true for that specific student.
- Schedule an interview if possible. The interview allows the candidate to show the admissions advisors who they are, what they're all about and why they'd make a great grad school student. It's important that the student is unique, smart and memorable.
- Send the application on time. This is important because it shows that the student is responsible.
- Mail a thank you card. After the application is sent, a thank you card to anyone who wrote a recommendation, admissions department and anyone who helped the application in any way should receive a thank you card. This makes the student look just a little more on top of things.
- Talk to the admissions advisors before applying. The student should make the admission department remember them. The graduate school application is a big deal, and should be taken seriously. Cozying up the department before sending the application can make a world of difference.
- Proofread the application. Nothing makes someone stand out like errors and incomplete work. Nothing! So don't do it.
- Read and re-read these graduate school application tips. They will help any student shine.