So the weekend's coming up and you want to check out 10 great '80s action movies, right? If you like movies with big guns, big explosions and lots of action, then you'll certainly enjoy these gems. Packing lots of firepower and big names like Stallone and Schwarzenegger, these great '80s action films are all popular favorites. Pull out the popcorn, crack open a cold one and get ready to enjoy!
- "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior" is a post-apocalyptic film about a drifter who helps a small community escape the futuristic bandits that are terrorizing them. Set in a grim Australian wasteland, this film features customized race cars, strange dusty clothing and more violence than you can shake a stick at. There isn't much dialogue, but this Mel Gibson classic is one of the most memorable '80s action movies.
- "First Blood" (also known as "Rambo") stars Sylvester Stallone as a misunderstood Vietnam army veteran. Known as one of the great '80s action movies, it's also considered one of the greatest action films of all time. If you enjoy this one, be sure to check out the rest of the Rambo collection.
- Before he was the governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger was an elite "Commando." Pulling his skills out of retirement after his daughter is kidnapped by an exiled dictator, this is one of the greatest '80s action movies to watch if you like big guns (and we aren't talking about Schwarzenegger's biceps either).
- Before Detroit became a crime-ridden cesspool, it was a crime-ridden cesspool in the great '80s action movie "RoboCop." The '80s produced several great movies about grief-ridden cops that carried a grudge, but this was the only one to have a grief-ridden Robot cop that carried a grudge (and a big gun).
- "Predator" was not only one of the best great '80s action movies, it was also one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a member of a team of commandos that discover themselves hunted by an alien warrior.
- "Die Hard" is known for its great action scenes and one-liners. Bruce Willis shines in one of the funniest '80s action movies, about a New York cop that tries to free a bunch of hostages from terrorists while visiting LA. If you love a good laugh with your action, don't miss this one.
- Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is another of the best '80s action films that's filled with great comedic moments. Harrison Ford battles Nazis, supernatural forces and manages to keep his hat through the duration. Talk about talent!
- "Terminator" soon had everyone quoting, "I'll be back." Another of the great '80s action films starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Terminator" provides viewers with a frightening glimpse into the future and the unstoppable force of the cyborg. Filled with great FX and lots of action, it's no wonder that this was one of the top action movies of the decade.
- Stallone fans will love him in the role of Lieutenant Marion 'Cobra' Cobretti in this tale of a city cop chasing down an evil serial killer. "Cobra" is one of the great '80s action movies for people who love a lot of action and violence. Be forewarned, it does have a lot of Rambo-esque moments, though it's nice to see Sly as the hunter, rather than the hunted.
- "The Empire Strikes Back" is the well-known sequel to "Star Wars." Or, at least, it was before they brought out the 3 movies that supposedly happened before the '70s classic. If you're confused, don't worry, just watch. This is one of the greatest '80s action films of all times and one of the best sci-fi movies in history.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…