Every month has something special to offer, but these 10 great places to travel in February showcase just the true wonder of February's spectrum of destinations. No matter the hemisphere, there's always something to do or someplace worth seeing in February.
- Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan. Sapporo's annual Snow Festival, or "Yuki Matsuri," draws people from all over the world. For seven days, the town transforms into a winter wonderland, as hundreds of ice sculptures are chiseled to perfection, then set up to line the grounds of Northern Japan, making it a great place to travel in February.
- Venice, Italy. The famous Carnevale in Italy usually begins about two weeks before Ash Wednesday. Travel to Venice in February, and you'll likely find yourself bombarded by the festivities of this very colorful event. Other than Carnevale, its weather makes Italy a comfortable European destination at this time, with mostly blue skies and moderate temperatures.
- Manila, Philippines. Even though all the Christmas celebrations have ended, February is the Philippines' hidden gem. It's not too hot, there are lots of great travel deals, and the crowds are limited. Also, it's an especially great place to travel in February if you want to get a taste of life in the Philippines outside of its famous six months of Christmas.
- Meknes, Morocco. For those who dream of beautiful nights sleeping under the open sky, shining majestically with more stars than you ever knew existed, a trek into the Sahara Desert in Morocco is the ideal February trip. You can reach the Sahara Desert via bus and camel. Make sure to bring a warm sleeping bag, though, as Sahara nights in February can be freezing.
- Vientiane, Laos. Laos is a stunning place to visit any time of year. However, in February, you will avoid both the hot, humid weather and the monsoon season. Vientiane, Laos' capital, is near the Thai-Lao border, and has a lot to offer in terms of history, culture, and cuisine. Vientiane is just one of a number of great places to travel in February in Laos.
- New Orleans, LA, USA. If you can't make it to Carnevale in Italy, Mardi Gras in New Orleans is on par! Although the costume is the most important thing any reveler will bring to New Orleans, Louisiana can get cold in February, so it's smart to pack warm clothes, too. Also, if you arrive in New Orleans before the celebrations, you'll have a great opportunity to explore the many treasures of the city without the tourists.
- Norway. A trip to Northern Norway in February will afford you one of the most magical views of the sky any traveler could ever hope to see. The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) are spectacular here. In addition, Norway is famous for snow sports such as dog sledding, skiing, and ice fishing, making it one of those wondrously great places to travel in February.
- Cajamarca, Peru. Peru is another excellent location for celebrating "Carnaval," which, in Peru, turns into a large scale water fight, with many colorful celebrations to go along with it. Arguably the most famous site of this celebration throughout Peru is Cajamarca. Before you leave, you must sample Cajamarca's famous dairy and chocolate products.
- Colombo, Sri Lanka. Many consider Sri Lanka to be a slice of heaven pie. The air is clean, the people are kind, the weather is nice, and the peaceful island nation has so much to offer in terms of cuisine, culture, and anything you could want in a travel destination. Sri Lanka comes recommended because of its ideal February weather.
- Paris, France. Unexpectedly, February may actually be the best time to visit France. Its five mountain ranges open up the possibility to partake in a number of winter sports, there are fewer foreign tourists in France in February, and there are amazing shopping sales at this time. On top of that, who wouldn't want to celebrate Valentine's Day in Paris, the birthplace of romance?
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Liev Schreiber Is a Bit Nicer Than Ray Donovan
With Season 2 underway, the actor explains how he relates to the nefarious character he plays.
Field Test: LA’s Best Valets Take on the Stingray
There are no wiser men than Hollywood car parkers to gauge the true star power of an automobile...
Lucy Kicks Ass, Metaphysics, Logic
If you are willing to relax, get on board and tweak your suspension-of-disbelief meter to 11, it’s not the worst way to spend 89 minutes.