10 Healthy Foods That Help Depression
The 10 healthy foods that help depression can have a positive effect on the mood swings and depression that over 18 million Americans suffer from annually. It is important to learn about the nutrients that go into our bodies and what roles they play in our day to day mental well being. Adjusting our diet can help to alleviate some of the symptoms associated with depression. Below are the 10 healthy foods that help depression.
- Whole grain oats are one of the foods that help depression. Oats are very soothing to the digestive tract and will help to avoid the blood sugar crash and burn which leads to mood swings and agitation. Oats contain pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin B1 which are all important for mood swings.
- Brown rice is also one of the foods that help depression. Brown rice contains vitamin B1 and B3, and folic acid. Brown rice is also a low glycemic food which means that it releases glucose gradually, therefore preventing sugar lows and mood swings. There are also many trace minerals in rice which the body needs to function properly.
- Fish oils are another one of the foods that help depression. Studies have shown that people lacking a fatty acid known as EPA tend to become more depressed than those who have the fatty acid. Fish oils contain the omega 3 fatty acids which can be found in walnuts, flaxseed and oily fishes such as salmon or tuna.
Chicken is one of the foods that help depression. Chicken contains vitamin B3, known as niacin. Deficiencies in niacin are thought to be associated with depression and anxiety. Niacin helps the body to convert proteins, fat and carbohydrates into usable energy and it also supports the neurotransmission system of the brain.
Sunflower seeds are also one of the foods that help depression. Sunflower seeds contain vitamin B1 or thiamine. Recommended amounts of thiamine in the body can help how a person with anxiety or panic disorder feels. Thiamine helps to coordinate the activity of nerves and muscle functions.
- Bell Peppers and spinach are also one of the foods that help depression. They are both rich in vitamin B6 which is one of the best vitamins for supporting the nervous system. Vitamin B6 has been known to help alleviate symptoms of sadness, depression, anxiety and panic. It is also helpful in the breakdown of sugars and starches which is important to help prevent fatigue and provide energy.
- Baked snapper is another one of the foods that help depression. Baked snapper contains vitamin B12 which is very important in the production of red blood cells to prevent anemia. Clinical depression and memory loss have been associated with vitamin B12 deficiency.
Whole Grain Bread is also one of the foods that help depression. This type of bread contains a mineral called selenium which acts like an antioxidant inside the body. Studies have shown that having an oxidative stress factor in the brain is linked to some cases of depression.
- Chocolate is one of the foods that helps depression. Studies have shown that having one ounce of chocolate can lift the levels of brain endorphins. Chocolate has also been shown to have an anti-clogging effect on blood vessels. Chocolate has been known to make people have a higher sense of well being.
- Beef liver is one of the foods that helps depression. Beef liver contains vitamin D in the natural state rather than fortified as in milk. This is an important vitamin since it has been shown that low levels of vitamin D shows a higher incidence of PMS, seasonal affective disorders, and depression.