10 Highest Professional Hockey Player Salaries
The 10 highest professional hockey player salaries are earned by the best of the best in the NHL. These players have achieved an unparalleled amount of success and their millions reflect just that.
- Vincent Lecavalier brings home $10 million for the 2009-2010 season as the captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning. This Quebec native has a Stanley Cup under his belt and he can be found on the cover of NHL06 for Playstation 2. He currently has the highest professional hockey player salary.
- Sidney Crosby is the young captain of the 2009 Stanley Cup championsthe Pittsburgh Penguins. At the age of 21 he became the youngest captain in history to lead his team to a Stanley Cup victory. In 2010, this native of Nova Scotia scored the game winning overtime goal against Team USA during the Winter Olympics Championship hockey game. He earns an NHL salary of $9 million for the 2009-2010 season for his efforts.
Evgeni Malkin is a fellow Penguin who also played a vital role in the success of the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2008-2009 season. In 2009, he became the first Russian player to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, which is awarded to the most valuable player during the Stanley Cup playoffs. Like his teammate Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin takes $9 million home for the 2009-2010 season, which earns his a spot on the list of ten highest professional hockey player salaries.
- Alexander Ovechkin, also known to adoring Washington Capitals fans as 'Alex the Gr8t' (a play on his jersey number 8), will have no problem finding ways to spend his NHL salary of $9 million he earned for the 2009-2010 season. He can be compared to a Russian sniper with his elite puck handling skills and physical play. In January 2010, Alexander became the captain of the Washington Capitals, and has led his team to the President's Trophy, which is awarded to the team who finishes the regular season with the most points, for the 2009-2010 season.
- Chris Drury, captain of the New York Rangers, can buy anything he'd like with the $8.05 million check he collects for the 2009-2010 season.
- Daniel Briere earns $8 million for 2009-2010 to be a Broadstreet Bully, also known as the Philadelphia Flyers. He is one of only two French Canadians on the list of the ten highest professional hockey player salaries.
- Scott Gomez is one of few NHL players of Hispanic ancestry. This center for the Montreal Canadiens is $8 million richer for the 2009-2010 season.
- Dany Heatley is the only German on the list. This San Jose Shark has been playing in the NHL since 2001, and at 6'4 he is a huge asset to a team known for its size and aggressive play. For 2009-2010, he is expected to earn $8 million for his NHL salary.
- Wade Redden is a defenseman for the New York Rangers. He makes the list of highest professional hockey player salaries with his $8 million salary for 2009-2010.
- Jason Spezza plays for the Ottawa Senators who pay him an NHL salary of $8 million for his elite playmaking skills.
National Hockey League
Posted on: Apr. 16, 2010