Before listing 10 ice speed skating tips to help you improve your form, the most important thing to mention is safety. Remember, you are dealing with sharp blades which can cause serious, permanent injury, and if you fall, ice is not as forgiving as soft ground or other surfaces. Be careful, so that you can enjoy years of ice speed skating.
- Always start out in the correct basic position. Your chest should be rather close to your thighs, your bottom tucked under your back, and your shoulders and upper back nicely rounded.
- Ice speed skating more than just skating. You may need to add other exercises, such as weight-lifting exercises, to keep muscles toned and fit for speed skating.
- Flexibility is important in ice speed skating, so don’t forget to stretch before skating. This can also help prevent injuries such as muscle tears or strains.
- When you started ice skating, you learned this from the first, but it is still important—keep your knees bent!
- Keep your ice speed skating equipment in good shape, including skates, gloves, and helmets. Frequently check skate strings for fraying, and your gloves, especially the fingertips for wear and holes.
- Incorporate different drills into your ice speed skating practice sessions to remind you of the basics. Some examples of drills are the t-push, where your knees are bent and your back foot is at a 90° angle to the front skate while you are holding on to a support. Practice pushing your skate back for a few times, then switch to the other leg. Then, there is the next t-push drill, where you start off in the original t-push position, but when you push off, your blade stays flat on the ice.
- Remember to push from heel to toe. This gives you better control over your skates.
- Take care not to get chilled, either from weather conditions or from cooling off after having worked up a sweat. Even if you are indoors, remember that you are still ice speed skating.
- Don’t leave checking the ice conditions to others—check the ice yourself. If you are at an indoor or public outdoor rink, report any problems you see immediately. If you are at a private outdoor rink, you may not want to risk ice speed skating there if you see any flaws or problems with the ice.
- Continue to practice falling. No matter how good you are at ice speed skating, it can still happen, and knowing how to do it properly may prevent serious injury.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!