10 Important Relationship Questions To Ask Your Girlfriend
Here are 10 important relationship questions to ask your girlfriend. Whenever you are in your relationship, it is important that you and your girlfriend are on the same page about important relationship questions. This is especially important if you are in a new relationship, so you can avoid any "unpleasant surprises" later on. Note: These are not questions that you should ask on the first or second date. You should ask your girlfriend these questions when you establish that you are "together".
- What is your level of commitment? If you want to propose to your girlfriend and she is just "having fun" until she graduates college, you would obviously want to know her intentions before you get any more serious. Conversely, if you are not looking for anything long-term, you should still ask you girlfriend this question so that you don't give her false hopes.
- What constitutes cheating? Another important relationship question is to determine boundaries. Some women think that looking at porn is cheating, while other women don't think physical contact is cheating unless it is sex. Ask your girlfriend to give you her definition of cheating and make sure it lines up with your definition of cheating.
- How many sexual partners have you had? This question is more important to some people than others. If one of you is significantly more "sexually experienced" than the other, it could make both of you feel uncomfortable. Differences in sexual history could also create differences in expectations as far as how often you and your girlfriend think you should be having sex.
- When was the last time your were tested for HIV/STDs? This is not a fun question to ask your girlfriend. You might start by telling her the last time you were tested and what the results were. You might also suggest that you both be tested together.
- Do you masturbate? This question might surprise your girlfriend. As stated above, some people think masturbation is cheating, especially when there is porn involved. Other people have no problem with masturbation or pornography in their relationship.
- What are your beliefs about abortion? Ideally you should know the answer to this question before you have sex for the first time. This way, if you have different views on this subject, you can make the decision to not have sex. Even if you are very safe, there is still a chance that your method of birth control could fail and you will have to make a decision.
- What is your financial situation? Asking your girlfriend about her financial situation is an important relationship question. If she has hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt, it could limit your plans for the future if you are debt-free. Conversely, if she makes twice as much as you, she might be accustomed to a different lifestyle than you.
- What are your views on religion? If you go to mass every Sunday and she is an atheist, it is better to find out early. Religious views might not be an important question to ask your girlfriend if neither of you are religious. It is important if one of you is devout to a particular religion and expects that the other will join.
- What is your relationship with your family? This is an important relationship question to ask your girlfriend. If you talk to your mom every day on the phone and she doesn't speak to her family she might not understand. Also, if you want to frequently visit your family and they don't like your girlfriend, this could present problems.
- How do you deal with conflict? This is an important question to ask your girlfriend so that you can deal with conflict before it happens. Everyone tends to have a style in dealing with conflict. Some people are aggressive, passive- aggressive, or avoidant.