Enjoy 10 indie songs about money, whether you are enticed by getting rich or think that money is the root of all evil. Music is known as the universal language, and money is important for almost all cultures in the world. These songs have appeal to many, and the independent nature of these songs allow listeners to hear voices that may not otherwise be heard on mainstream radio play lists.
- "Room Games and Diamond Rain" by Silver Jews is a simple, strong rock song about love and money. Its poetic lyrics include, "It's a ten acre wood outbound on a western train. It costs a quarter, man, out on the border land."
- "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friends," as covered by Deanna & The Downbeats, an indie, cabaret-jazz band based in Portland, Oregon, is an ironic song about money. More specifically, it is a song about a woman who depends on diamonds and other monetary goods to feel secure in life.
"Money (That's What I Want) by the Flying Lizards is an indie, unique take on the 1959 single of the same name by Barrett Strong. Recorded in 1979, this cover has become something of a classic in and of itself. It is a hymn to the reality most of us face: needing money.
- "Rock Bottom" by Eminem from "The Slim Shady LP" was an indie song about money released before he became a rap star with the later "The Marshall Mathers LP." With lyrics such as "When this life makes you mad enough to steal, that's rock bottom," this song expresses the frustration for those who simply seem to just get poorer, while the rich get richer.
"The Underdog" by Spoon is a strong indie anthem for the poor. Its lyrics about freeing oneself from the middleman is often interpreted as being about retail and consumer enslavement.
- "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" was once the unofficial anthem of the Great Depression. It has now been re-recorded over a dozen times both for mainstream and indie audiences. One of the great indie interpretations of the song was by Thea Gilmore in 2006.
- "Money Talks," performed by AC/DC, deals with the world as we know it. The video of the song created a stir and made a strong statement, including the burning of money, yet the lyrics seem keenly aware that, in this world, money does talk.
- "Danny's Song" by Loggins and Messina is a song about both love and money. It is a song that shows that love triumphs over money, with lyrics such as, "Even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you, honey, and everything will bring a chain of love."
"Money Money" by Horace Andy delivers a healthy mix of truth, irony and cynicism. Lyrics include, "When you got a whole lot of money, you got a whole heap of friends." It is a great song and a warning about the real meaning of money.
- "Things I Do For Money" by Northern Pikes is part-confessional, part strong song. It tells the story of what the pursuit of money can do to someone, robbing one of his true self, all in the name of earning money.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …