Everyone can benefit by learning 10 indispensable Microsoft Word tips. However, let me assure there are far more than ten indispensable tips! Microsoft Word is one of the most powerful word processing programs available. It is more comprehensive than most users know. Microsoft Word tips will shed light on some of the lesser known capabilities of this popular word processing program.
- One indispensable MS Word tip is that it has all sorts of desktop publishing capabilities. Click on Insert in the toolbar and discover clip art, shapes, charts and even smart art. There’s no need to access a separate desktop publishing program. MS Word has it all.
- A second indispensable MS Word tip is the “drop cap” option, also in the Insert menu. Drop cap allows you to design a stylish page that looks professional and crisp. Try it out on your next project.
- Word Art, also found in the Insert menu, was once available only in desktop publishing programs. Now MS Word includes this powerful typography function which makes type exciting, colorful and bold. All you do is write the text, then select the particular Word Art format you desire. You can change the typeface, type color or size.
- When writing papers for college, research, or publication check out the References menu. There you’ll find all the tools necessary to create a footnote, citation, table of contents, and bibliography. Each specific element necessary to write a successful paper is categorized in easy to locate tabs.
- Another indispensable MS Word tip is found in the mailings tab. You can create a mailing database which searches your Outlook account and selects recipients according to your needs. You can also create and print envelopes and labels. The “find recipient” tool enables you to locate people you’re trying to reach.
- The Review tab is invaluable for editing written material. Here you can check spelling and grammar, access a thesaurus, encyclopedia or dictionary, and even translate text into a different language. You can track changes made to any document, and reveal revisions in several different ways. You also have the ability to reject a change, or an unlimited number of changes at one time.
- The Home tab in MS Word in another source of indispensable tips. Of course you can perform the regular necessary applications of any word processing program. But in addition to choosing typefaces, font size, font color, italic, bold and so on, you can also choose from different styles such as formal, fancy, elegant, distinctive and much more. You can add subscripts and superscripts, bulleted lists, numbered lists, and even sort lists. There is also the ability to search for specific words, replace them or select them.
- The View tab is full of amazing functions. By clicking “print layout” your document appears as it would if it were printed on 8.5” x 11” paper. “Full screen reading” shows your document as it appears on the entire screen. “Outline” and “Draft” change your document to outline or draft form.
- The Avery tab opens up a window that allows you to select the specific Avery product you’re using—business cards, mailing labels, filing labels, postcard, brochures, etc. Match your Avery product with the product number and everything is automatically set up for you. Slide your Avery paper into your printer and you’re good to go!
- By clicking on the Office button at the top left of your screen, and then selecting “new,” a world of options opens for you. There are templates for envelopes, greeting cards of every sort, resumes, brochures, flyers, labels, gift certificates, coupons, calendars, inventories, receipts and more. Clip art and font choices are already inserted into your document. All you need to do is add your text. If it’s a greeting card you’ve selected, various verses are available for your selection.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.