Dr. Dre has been in the music game since the early '80s and is one of the best known American rapper and record producers out there, which is what makes the following 10 interesting facts about Dre so fascinating. Dr. Dre has been writing, producing, and performing since that time, when he was with the group the World Class Wreckin' Cru. Here are 10 interesting facts about Dre that will be sure to surprise, enlighten, and entertain his many fans:
- Dre uses a stage name. Of course, like many other rappers, Dr. Dre uses a stage name. So, one interesting fact about Dre is that he was given the name Andre Romell Young when he was born on February 18, 1965. Dre, thus, is obviously a nickname for his given first name, Andre.
- Dre founded a record label. Dr. Dre founded the record label Aftermath Entertainment in 1996, after leaving Death Row Records in 1995. He is the current CEO of Aftermath Entertainment, to which multi-platinum rapper Eminem, 50 Cent, and Game have been signed.
- Dre is related to another rapper/producer. Another interesting fact about Dre is that he and another well-known rapper/producer are related. Dr. Dre and Warren G. are, in fact, stepbrothers. Warren G. is known for working on a number of soundtracks for a number of films including "Barbershop 2: Back in Business," "Big Momma's House," "Good Burger," and "Supercop."
- Dre was a DJ. Early on in Dr. Dre’s music career, he became a DJ at a club he often attended, The Eve After Dark. Dr. Dre’s DJ name was Dr. J.
- Dre was in another group before N.W.A. His success with another group before rap group N.W.A. is another interesting fact about Dre. Before N.W.A. struck it big, Dr. Dre was involved with a group called World Class Wreckin’ Cru which performed in the South-Central region of Los Angeles at clubs and house parties.
- Dre's first film appearance was in the mid-1990s. Dr. Dre’s first appearance on screen was in the 1996 film "Set It Off" , where he was a weapons dealer in the bank robbery film. Dr. Dre's character's name in the film was Black Sam.
- Dr. Dre is also an entrepreneur. He released his brand of headphones called "Beats by Dr. Dre" in July of 2008.
- Dre's son is a rapper. Yet another interesting fact about Dre is that his eldest son is a rapper, Curtis “Hood Surgeon” Young, who has appeared in "Rap Sheet: Hip-Hop and the Cops."
- Dre won an MTV Music Video Award. In 1996, Dr. Dre won an MTV Music Video Award for “Keep Their Heads Ringin,” a hit single of the rapper’s.
- Dre is on on Rolling Stone's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artists list. One last interesting fact about Dre is that Rolling Stone magazine placed him on the Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Artists list at number 54.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.