10 Internet Dating Tips For Men
Here are 10 Internet dating tips for your to consider. With the idea of hanging out in single bars seeming less and less appealing to many, many men might turn to internet dating. Sometimes, even if it's not what you ideally want to cite to your future children as the story for how you met their mother, sometimes sparks fly during an online conversation. This chemistry can be undeniable and irresistible on some occasions. Whether it's how you'd prefer to meet your soul mate or just a date for your school's dance, there are some things you should know when it comes to internet dating.
- Tell the truth. Although it can be tempting to exaggerate things about your life, you'll ultimately be caught if anything comes out of your online flirtation. If nothing comes of it, what have you gained by the lie? Nothing. Although the impulse may be to lie, it won't be tolerated.
- Provide a picture of yourself that shows what you look like. Avatars should be realistic. If someone isn't going to accept you as you are with any flaws you may have, you want to know that they're shallow jerks from the very start. Although it's tempting to make up an alternate ID online, that shouldn't be done if you ever want a real relationship with people you may meet along the Internet way.
- Let your potential date lead the way. You never want to pressure someone to meet in person if they're not ready. You'll only come off as creepy, and she may stop talking to you altogether. Instead, be patient ,and let her let you know when she's ready to meet up.
- Don't reveal personal details until you have met in person. Even if you see someone's picture or see their personal blog, these can be easily faked. You don't know if the person you are instant messaging with is that 20-year-old college student who's your age or an older man looking for a burglary opportunity. Your exact location, phone number, and personal details should be avoided at all costs.
- Try to do a video chat before meeting. Although appearances have little to do with who the person is and shouldn't matter, a video chat will help to ensure that you know who you are meeting before you see one another in person. That can also help avoid those embarrassing false identifications at a coffee shop or unreal expectations. However, people can work in teams or be helping someone else pull off a con. Even if you do see someone, don't reveal information.
- Never send money to someone you have only chatted with online. There are many scams overseas and here in the United States, where young women (or men posing as young women) will try to defraud lonely or desirous men for money.
- Keep the conversation light-hearted when talking online. Although it can be tempting to vent about your unhappy childhood or daddy issues or other deep problems, save it for trusted friends, family members, a therapist or your offline journal. Modern technology allows users to forever save any chat she has with you, and you never know who may want to use it against you or just publicize things for the heck of it. Protect yourself.
- Always meet someone in a public place. Although this may be primarily seen as an issue for women, men are sometimes victims when meeting strangers for the first time off of the Internet. It's important to meet someone at a public place, for your protection and hers.
- Be careful to only sign up on websites that are reputable.
- Trust your instincts. You never know who you are spending time with, and you need to be aware of this at all times.