Fly away to a tropical paradise or climb snowy peaks for an exhilarating ski adventure — the 10 largest resorts in the World offer a little something for every taste. Whether you want to gamble the night away, enjoy coastal splendors, or savor the savoir-faire, Made Man takes you on a whirlwind adventure across the globe to find the biggest, richest, and most opulent resorts.
- First stop – the tranquility of ocean breezes meet desert oasis at Durrat Al Bahrain, scrambling to claim the title as the world’s largest resort. Located on the southern coast of Bahrain, this city unto itself spans a cluster of 15 separate islands stretching for 21km. They offer a luxury hotel, permanent residences, an elite golf course, and their own marina. The Crescent, also known as the urban hub of this resort community, houses designer shops, the finest restaurants, and everything a tourist could hope to find.
- Until Durrat Al Bahrain’s construction is complete, however, the title for the largest resort on the entire planet still rests on a peaceful mountaintop in Malaysia. Genting Resort in the Genting Highlands of Malaysia rises an astounding 6,000 miles above sea level. Unless you care to drive the winding mountain roads or ride the cable car, your only method of entry is a helicopter. The First World Hotel calls Genting Resort home and rightfully claims the record as the largest hotel in the world. Plan to spend a little time here as the resort encompasses 10,000 acres.
- When it comes to casino resorts, the U.S. and China are in competition for the largest gambling palaces in the world. In the U.S., Foxwoods Casino and Resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut, claims over 400,000 square feet of space devoted to gaming. Throw in the MGM Grand and the most slot machines of any casino in the world (7,200 to be precise) and you have one palatial monument to gambling.
- Not to be outdone, the Venetian in Macao, China boasts over 550,000 square feet of gaming space and gambling resort splendor. The Venetian also claims to be the largest building in China, housing a 3,000-suite hotel, 15,000-seat entertainment center, and a 1,800-seat theater.
- Are you looking for a more eco-friendly resort to wow the senses? Try the world’s first, and by default, largest completely off-the-grid island resort located on Star Island in the Bahamas. The 35 acre island is completely self-sustaining, using only locally grown food and solar, wind, or hydro power for each of the 44 private bungalows. However, off the grid does not mean lack of amenities. The island boasts an upscale spa, a fitness center, and oodles of sugary sand.
- Largest does not always pertain to actual size. If checkbook size is more your thing, then we have the world’s largest resort renovation budget. The historic Fontainebleau resort hotel in Miami, Florida underwent a $1 Billion – yes, that is with a “b” – overhaul in 2005, tripling its size and pouring $21 million into the pool area alone.
- If you are looking for the world’s largest water park resort that would be the Wilderness Territory Resort in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. With 600 acres of watery fun, 100 waterslides, and 4 indoor pools, it is sure to whet your swimmer’s resort whistle.
- When it comes to skiing, you have your choice of two resorts that claim the title of the world’s largest. You simply have to pick your poison – do you want to ski indoors or outside? For the world’s largest outdoor skiing resort, there’s Les 3 Vallées in the French Alps.
- However, for the world’s largest indoor ski resort, there is Ski Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. The dome that houses these artificial indoor slopes is 25 stories high.
- Finally, if you want a kid-friendly resort, one of the world’s largest hotel resorts, The Empire Hotel and Country Club in Brunei, is the place to go. Dubbed the Abode of Peace, Brunei sits on the northern coast of Borneo. The Empire Hotel caters to kids with their E-Kids Club. The kids can romp and play for the entire day while you enjoy the rainforests, take in some golf, or soak in the South China Sea.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.