10 Living Room Decorating Ideas For Apartments
It can be a challenge to come up with living room decorating ideas for apartments. But challenges can often bring out the best decorating ideas because it forces creativity and ingenuity.
- Decorate your apartment's living room with tables that are multi-functional. A long, narrow console table or sofa table takes up little space visually but can double as extra dining space, a buffet table or a bar when entertaining.
- Buy a sleeper sofa for the living room to double as a bed for overnight guests. Choose the sofa fabric in a solid, neutral color for decorating flexibility.
- Use large throw pillows on the floor to provide extra seating for guests. Living room decorating ideas for apartments should make the most of every square inch of space. Pillows are another opportunity to add additional color, fabric and soft texture.
- Storage ottomans are the perfect solution for living rooms that need as much storage as possible. Ottomans are readily available now in many styles of leather, fabric, wood and wicker with ample storage room inside. The surface can be used as extra seating or as a coffee table. Stash games, magazines, books or blankets inside the ottoman.
- A floor screen will always be a popular living room decorating idea for apartments. It can be used as a backdrop for a sofa or large screen television. Put a screen in a corner and stash toys or clutter behind it.
- Use mirrors abundantly to decorate the living room in your apartment. Place a large mirror on a wall directly across from a window to reflect as much natural light as possible. If you can’t hang it, leave the mirror on the floor and prop it against the wall to visually expand the apartment’s living room.
- Put a beautiful throw rug on the floor to designate the seating area. It doesn’t matter if the floors aren’t wooden. It’s fine to layer throw rugs over carpeting. Rugs are another opportunity to add pattern and texture to the living room.
- Don’t be afraid to hang pictures and artwork. Can’t put nail holes in the wall? That’s no longer an issue thanks to the fabulous 3M Command Strips. The magical hangers are available in sizes to accommodate all but the heaviest of artwork.
- Even if you're not allowed to paint, there are tried and true ways to add color on the walls of your living room apartment. Use fabric applied directly on the wall using liquid starch. It can be easily removed without damaging the wall. Or use large panels on foam board or cork board and cover with your fabric of choice. Another simple way to color your apartment walls is with artist canvases. Paint the canvases with latex in a color you wish you could use on the apartment’s walls.
- An often overlooked living room decorating idea is the use of curtains in apartments. Curtains add an additional layer of privacy, warmth and color even if the apartment has window blinds. Hanging long curtains in the living room seem to help approve the acoustics in a room as well. If the main natural light source is a sliding balcony door, use curtains to frame the door on each side.
Posted on: Oct. 16, 2010