10 Long Distance Relationship Ideas
If you had a chance to learn 10 long distance relationship ideas that could make your love match weather any geographic distance, would you implement them? Do not be so quick to answer! Some interesting research done at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute reveals that these kinds of romances are cut from a different cloth and do not rely so much on physical attractiveness (or animal magnetism), but instead appeal to a much deeper need for emotional and intellectual companionship. Making such love matches work is possible if you have some ideas to keep your long distance relationship fresh.
- Cultivate diverse interests. If she likes horticulture, he might become a bit more outdoorsy for the sake of being relatable. If he enjoys car racing, she may read up on the biographies of famous drivers to understand what makes him tick. Relationships, especially long distance ones, are all about understanding each other.
- Build a support network. Forget the nay-sayers and instead look for friends and family members who support your choice to keep the relationship going. These friends can talk you through the rough spots in your relationship.
- Focus on goals beyond the geographical separation. Avoid obsessing about a missed call or a difficult-to-interpret email and instead work together to plan for the future. This removes a great deal of insecurity.
- Set up ironclad talk times. Even though each and every night sounds great in the beginning, a much more workable schedule is most likely a looser schedule. That being said, it is crucial to have times and days for communication that are set in stone and that both partners can count on.
- Limit distractions. Since body language is missing, it is important to listen to verbal nuances. Do not talk with the TV blaring or the roommates yelling.
- Play together. Thanks to the internet, there are copious amounts of online multiplayer games that both partners in a long distance relationship can enjoy. Go online to a multiplayer gaming site and find a game to play together; this is a great recreational activity that gives both partners a break from deep talks and allows them to just have fun together while apart.
- Remember special dates. Keep a calendar with important dates. This not only refers to an anniversary or birthday but also to the much more mundane stuff. Is it time for her puppy to get its booster shots? What time do his finals start? Knowing and keeping track of these little things maintains connectedness.
- Send homemade gifts. Cards, cookies and CDs are easy to make but show a great deal of care.
- Refuse to argue. No list of long distance relationship ideas would be complete without touching on how to handle disagreements. Commit to cooling off, think the situation through and then resume talks after a pre-determined period of time has passed to discuss a touchy issue.
- Find new ways of connecting. Try a webcam, an instant messenger service or a social network you never tried before. A joint learning experience fosters closeness when you're in a long distance relationship.
While not even a list of clever long distance relationship ideas can guarantee success during a physical separation, fresh ideas can greatly enhance the odds of building a match that lasts.