10 Low Carb Diet Ideas
Looking for 10 low carb diet ideas that will give you all the energy you need? To select low carb foods correctly, you should distinguish between good carbs and bad carbs. Bad carbs, such as processed sugars, have a high Glycemic Index, which provides your body with easy to digest carbs. Consequently, you feel a sugar rush that quickly dissipates. Conversely, good carbs have a low Glycemic Index, meaning the body takes a long while to break them down. Here are some low carb diet ideas with slow burning carbs for healthy weight management and sustained energy levels.
- Hummus. Made with low carb chic peas and sesame seed oil, hummus is a healthy alternative to condiments in sandwiches. Garnish the hummus with organic olive oil and pine nuts to turn this low carb diet idea into a true Mediterranean treat.
- Dark berries. Not only rich in fiber, dark berries are also a low in carbs. Blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, especially, are low in sugar content and offer you a great low carb diet idea. Eat them as a snack or add them to protein shakes for a healthy, low carb drink.
- Melons. Watermelon as well as cantaloupe and honeydew melons are all low in carbs, while being rich in liquid that helps you feel full despite eating little.
- Other fruit. Though not as low in carbs as berries and melons, apples, peaches, grapefruit and papaya are all considered mid-range in their glucose level and therefore still offer you a good low carb diet alternative.
- Fish and lean meats. Not only low in carbohydrates, seafood, chicken, pork and exotic white meats such as antelope are all low in carb and bad fats (LDL Cholesterol) but rich in muscle building protein.
- Green vegetables. An excellent low carb choice, green vegetables are typically rich in fiber as well. For a low carb diet idea add broccoli, bok choy or spinach to chicken stir-fry. Make salad from various types of lettuce and add green, yellow or red bell peppers, as well as tomatoes.
- Steamed vegetables. For healthy low carb diet ideas to supplement your fish, chicken or beef dinner, steam mushrooms, squash and zucchini and sprinkle them with healthy Flax seed oil.
- Soy or black beans. Not only low in carbohydrates, soy and black beans have a low Glycemic Index. For a great low carb diet idea eat refried black beans or add soy beans to fresh salads.
- Yogurt. Not only low in carbs, yogurt is also low in fat and rich in pro-biotics that contribute to digestive health. Make berry shakes with yogurt for a healthy low carb breakfast. Mix yogurt and almond butter for a thick, low carb meat or chicken sauce.
- Whole grain bread and flat bread. If eaten in moderation, whole grain bread will provide you with a low carb alternative to refined white bread. Flat breads also offer an excellent low carb sandwich option, but avoid Tortillas made with corn flour.