10 Low Fat Diet Ideas
Looking for 10 low fat diet ideas to help you maintain a healthy weight? According to US government health statistics most Americans gain weight in adulthood, which leads to increased risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke and even arthritis. When you eat a diet rich in fat or cholesterol, your body naturally stores up excess calories in defense of winter or future famines. Since you no longer face such dangers, the only way to maintain a healthy weight is to introduce low fat diet ideas into your food choices as well as substitute bad fats with good fats. Here are 10 low fat diet ideas that span the food pyramid from top to bottom.
- Nuts. On the face of it nuts are far from a low fat diet idea as they contain high levels of monounsaturated fats. However, such fats will help cleanse your body of stored LDL cholesterol that leads to blood vessel blockage and heart disease. Eat walnuts, peanuts, almonds and pistachio as a healthy snack between meals.
- Avocado. Though often mistaken for a vegetable, avocado is the only fruit rich in good fats, making it an excellent low fat diet choice. High levels of monounsaturated fats will help cleanse your body of bad (LDL) cholesterol. Eat a 1/4 avocado with a slice of high fiber bread for breakfast.
- Oils. A purely low fat diet will cause your skin to turn dull and your hair to look dry. Instead of cooking with unhealthy oils like butter, margarine or animal fat, use Canola, vegetable or olive oil. And for your salads use flax seed oil for a delicious flavor rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Salmon. Fish and especially salmon offer another low fat diet option that will help your body cleanse away its old store of LDL cholesterol. Rich in polyunsaturated fats, fish will help you lose weight and gain greater muscle mass while exercising. Eat at least 4 portions of fish a week to maximize your intake of polyunsaturated fats.
- Sunflower seeds. For a low fat snack idea replace traditional television snacks like chips and pretzels with popcorn and sunflower seeds. Rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, corn and sunflower seeds will help your body cleanse away unwanted bad fat.
- Low fat dairy. Dairy products offer many healthy low fat diet options rich in protein. Always opt for low fat or no fat milk and coffee creamers. Eat yogurt instead of pudding or ice cream. Select low fat cream cheese and sour cream over the more fatty versions. To thicken sauces while cooking use low fat milk and add corn starch.
- Eggs. Like so many things in life, eggs envelope both the good and the bad in one package. For a low fat diet idea don’t give up on the nutritional value of eggs. Instead, make omelets with egg whites only, which are rich in protein, and avoid eating egg yolks which are full of LDL cholesterol.
- Commercial packaged foods. Try to eat fresh food whenever possible or prepare your own meals yourself. Commercially packed foods from snacks to cold cuts or frozen TV dinners are rich in hydrogenated fats and trans fatty acids. These are fats that were commercially altered to increase their shelf life. They last longer but are also difficult for your body to break down, leading to unhealthy weight gain.
- Low fat bread. Grains supplement our diet with necessary fiber. For a low fat diet idea select breads with a low fat content and no more than 2 grams of sugar per slice. Avoid bagels which have a high fat content, as well as pizzas or any breads that are coated with cheese or oily toppings.
- Low fat vegetables and fruit. Though vegetables and fruit are naturally low fat, not all are created equal. The most popular vegetable in the US is the potato, though consumption of carbohydrate-rich potatoes will lead to weight gain, especially when eaten in combination with meat. Choose apples and berries for fiber rich fruits, and green vegetables garnished with healthy oils.