If you’re having a hard time figuring out what to wear, take a peek at this awesome list of ten male fashion tips. Yeah, men aren’t usually thought of as the ones who put much forethought into what they wear, but that doesn’t mean a guy can’t look great. Remember how ZZ Top once said that “every girl’s crazy about a sharp-dressed man?” That wasn’t BS. Look at the list below for some male fashion advice so you can be confident about your outfit.
- Stuff that fits. First and foremost, wear clothing that fits you. Do not cram your butt into jeans that are five sizes too small like a psychopath in tight restraints. In contrast, don’t wear clothing that’s ten sizes too large like a "gangstas" wholook like they’re wearing bed sheets. Find something that’s comfortable and a little loose. If you really want to wear those pants that are snug in the gut, try a guy girdle.
- Leave leisure at home. Don’t wear lounging, sleeping, or workout clothing in public. Doing so will make you look like a lazy, unkempt slob. This means no crappy jean shorts, no gym shorts, no wife beaters and no sweat pants. The only time this is acceptable is if you’re going out for a jog or a bike ride. Otherwise, put on thicker clothing. On the other hand, don’t wear a suit to someone’s backyard barbecue. You should wear clothing appropriate to the environment you’ll be in.
- More length is good. Ever notice how some guys will wear pants that will get shorter when they take a step or sit down. They look dorky, don’t they? Be sure to find pants that are long enough to cover the tops of your shoes when you sit down…otherwise you’ll look like an idiot, and trouser socks will not help you here.
- In the neck. V-neck tops are often flattering on the male figure, and they look nice to boot. Additionally, they can be plain casual or for something a little more fancy. Not like wedding fancy, though. More like dinner with your girlfriend’s parents fancy, maybe.
- Crocs. Never, ever wear crocs for any reason. If given the choice of going barefoot or wearing Crocs, go barefoot. The world will be instructed to consider you less of a male if you wear these.
- Colors. Mixing and matching the proper colors can mean the difference between an attractive outfit and a ridiculous one. For the most part, just using your eyes and a little sense will help you to avoid mismatching colors. Don’t wear a red shirt with an orange tie. Try mixing darks and lights, or medium shades and dark shades – not hard since male fashion tends to only offer subdued medium and dark colors anyway,
- Matching. This goes along with tip six when mixing and matching, be sure that everything is largely the same quality. For example, if you’re going on a date, don’t wear a nice top and a freshly-cleaned pair of pants with ratty sneakers.
- Hats. A male wearing a hat isn’t a bad thing, but did you know that sometimes a hat will make you look a little shorter? If you’re self-conscious about your height, put the hat back in the closet.
- Casual and business-casual. This tip is referring to jeans, which can be very versatile in terms of men’s fashion. The best kind of jeans to wear are those which that hug your butt a little. Baggy jeans will make you look like you’ve soiled yourself, so don’t bother with those. As mentioned, jeans can be worn casually or at a workplace or event where business-casual is acceptable.
- Keep it current. Even if you grew up in the 70's or 80's, don’t dress like that now. Fashion is always changing, so try to keep your wardrobe within the current decade. No one will take you seriously if you show up in your platform shoes, sequined bell bottoms, and KC and the Sunshine Band shirt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.