Running a marathon is often thought of as the pinnacle of all running accomplishments, however, the task is not a simple one and there are some essential 10 marathon running tips that every runner should consider. These tips range from strategies to improve performance a month before the race to ideas for covering the last miles.
- Footwear is the first consideration for a marathon runner. All runners need adequate footwear and marathon runners must be extra cautious due to the long duration of races and training. Test all footwear in a long run before even considering wearing them in a marathon.
- Clothing is more important for marathon runners than for other exercise enthusiasts. Choose clothing that will keep you cool or warm should the environment call for it. Avoid clothes that retain sweat as they will add to your weight and slow you down.
- Test your fitness at one month out, and then three weeks out from the race. Test your fitness by going for semi-long to long runs that will either be at marathon pace or faster.
- Train for the specific marathon you will be running. Design your training to mimic the terrain of the marathon. If it is in an urban or rural setting, you should train appropriately.
- Don't try to sneak in extra training within one month of the race. Marathon running requires months of work to be successful. The last month of training should be at a maintenance level to ensure recovery and adequate energy stores on race day.
- Practice the specific running pace that you will use in the marathon. This will help you recognize and maintain your goal pace throughout the race and will increase your confidence levels.
- Nutrition is an important part of training for and completing a marathon. Runners need a large amount of carbohydrates. This is especially true leading up to the race.
Training yourself to drink before and during a race is important. It is vital that you consume enough liquids during training and running a marathon to keep yourself healthy and hydrated.
- Warming up is often skimped on by ill-advised marathon runners. Light stretching, jogging for a few minutes or at least walking is a good way to keep the body loose and the mind focused.
- Control your pace until the last stretch of the marathon. You should conserve energy until the end of the race. Then you will be able to finish as hard as possible without the risk of failing to complete the marathon.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.