Lets explore ten memorable movie quotes. Sometimes, when we think about a movie, all we seem to remember are certain lines. Some of the most memorable movie quotes have worked their way into the fabric of our culture, becoming synonymous with what defines us. "You talken to me?" or "You can't handle the truth!" are two such examples. We use them when we want to laugh at ourselves or at situations that remind us of the plot lines of these films. Lets take a look at ten memorable movie quotes.
- "I'd love to kiss you but I just washed my hair!" Bette Davis, as Madge, said this in "Cabin In the Cotton", in 1939. Davis, one of the greatest actresses of all time, is on this list more than once, and with good reason. She knew how to deliver a line better than just about any one else in Hollywood. Even today, she is still being quoted and imitated.
- "I'm King of the world!" Leonardo Decaprio announced this famous proclamation to the audience from the bow of the "Titanic" the second largest grossing film of all time. This quote and scene has become a part of pop culture, imitated and lampooned countless times, by both the famous and obscure.
- "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. Smells like…victory." Famous words of wisdom from Robert Duvall in "Apocalypse Now" the epic Vietnam war movie loosly based on the novel by Robert Conrad's Heart Of Darkness. This line summed up many, everything that was wrong with Vietnam.
- "Heeerrreees Johnny!" Chilling calling card delivered by Jack Nicholson in Stanley Kubrick's film interpretation of Stephen King's horror novel "The Shinning". The classic Johnny Carson show intro would never be heard in the same again.
- "Are you not entertained?!" Russell Crowe screams this haunting line at a blood thirsty ancient Roman audience in the surprise hit film "Gladiator", winner of the Academy award for Best Picture that year. This line finds contemporary meaning in todays "blood" sports and questions the nature of what is entertainment.
- "Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night!" Another classic Bette Davis line from the film about life in the theater in the 1950's " All About Eve". This film is fifty years old and still manages to find a new, appreciative audience with every generation.
- "You talken to me?" This famous quote was delivered by Robert De niro in the disturbingly realistic film "Taxi Driver". Though the line was dark, and delivered in a dark way, it has been the source of amusement for those who love to imitate De niro in front of the mirror.
- "I wantcha to hold it between your knees!" Another great one liner from Jack Nicholson in the counter culture film classic "Five Easy Pieces." When Nicholson said this line in a restaurant, then swept the contents of the table on to the floor, there was a universal roar of approval from the generation romanticized in the film, the sixties
- "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more!" The famous mantra chanted by Peter Finch in the scathing treatment of the television industry "Network." This quote was chanted by the audience in the theater at the time and, like the quote in "Five Easy Pieces" became synonymous with the feeling of dissatisfaction people felt with television, the government and society.
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" Clark Gables immortal words to Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in one of the most unforgettable films of all time, "Gone With The Wind'. This quote was not only famous for the first time a four letter word was allowed to be spoken in a film, it proceeded the unhappy or ambiguous ending to a major film, another first.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.