10 Money Saving Meals
If you are learning how to cook, learn about 10 money saving meals. Food costs can quickly add up, whether you are dining out or cooking for yourself. Check out these 10 money saving meals:
- Oatmeal. You can make oatmeal a money saving meal for breakfast or lunch. Oatmeal contains fiber and protein which will help you to feel full longer. Add some milk and fruit to your oatmeal to make it even more filling.
- Beef or Tofu Enchiladas. Ground beef and tofu are money saving meats. One pan of enchiladas will should give you approximately 4 meals. You can easily make a pan of enchiladas for under eight dollars, that ends up being less than two dollars a meal. Go easy on the cheese, which is the most expensive ingredient.
- Macaroni and Cheese. This college favorite is a money saving meal. It is cheap to buy the boxed macaroni and cheese, but it is even cheaper if you made it yourself. All you need to make it yourself is butter, milk, noodles, cheese and flour.
Eggs. Eggs are a versatile, money saving meal. Make omelettes, scrambled eggs or a quiche. Eggs can go with almost anything. Look in your fridge for cheeses, veggies and meats. Throw in whatever you need to use up.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly. Okay, Peanut butter and jelly sounds boring. Try splurging on some quality bread and almond or cashew butter. You will still be making a money saving meal, even if you get the expensive bakery bread.
- Potato and Cabbage Soup. Potatoes and Cabbage are extremely cheap foods. Boil the potatoes, then blend them ( using a blender) with the cabbage, some chopped onions, water and a package of cream cheese and some dill. Simmer these ingredients with water or milk for 20 minutes and you have another money saving meal.
- Beans and rice. Beans and rice are a nutritious money saving meal. Add your favorite veggies and sauces to the traditional beans and rice for some variety. Eat the beans and rice with cheap tortilla chips.
Chilli. Chilli is another money saving meal that will fill you up. Use ground beef or just beans for your protein. The only drawback to using chilli as a money saving meal is that it takes an entire day to simmer. If you are hungry and impatient, canned chilli is also a money saving meal.
Pancakes. Pancakes aren't only for breakfast, eat pancakes for dinner as a money saving meal. The only ingredients you need are flour, butter, eggs and milk. Pancakes are also easy and take just a couple of minutes.
- Grilled Cheese. Everyone loves grilled cheese. Again, you might want to splurge on a loaf of french bread or havarti cheese. This grilled cheese will still be a money saving meal. If you want to get extra creative, add some pesto or tomato.
Posted on: Aug. 19, 2010