The most 10 famous actresses ever helped the movies they starred in become some of the highest grossing, most critically acclaimed films of all time. Starring alongside some of cinema’s greatest actors, these women stood tall and remained strong in an industry dominated by men. The women were beautiful, talented and remain loved by the public thanks to their amazing body of work.
- Elizabeth Taylor – Elizabeth Taylor remained one of the most famous actresses ever over six decades. While Taylor only received five Oscar nominations throughout her career, she remained in the public eye anyway. She started as a twelve year old child actress in “National Velvet” and soon appeared in movies like “Father of the Bride,” “Cleopatra,” “Giant” and “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf?”
- Meryl Streep – Meryl Streep began acting in the ‘60s and over the next 50 years became on the most famous actresses ever. As of 2010, Streep earned sixteen Oscar nominations, winning twice. She has appeared in a number of award winning movies including “The Deer Hunter,” “Out of Africa,” “Mamma Mia!” and “Doubt.”
- Katharine Hepburn – From 1934 to 1982, Katharine Hepburn earned twelve Oscar nominations, spanning five decades for the famous actress. She was one of the original queens of comedy with performances in “Bringing Up Baby” and “Holiday.” She transformed herself into a regal leading lady later in her career with movies like “The African Queen” and “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner.”
- Marilyn Monroe – Marilyn Monroe is one of the most famous actresses ever thanks more to her off-screen escapades than her onscreen performances. Her alleged affair with President John Kennedy and her early death keep her entrenched in society’s conscious long after her movies slip into distant memory.
- Julie Andrews – Julie Andrews was the queen of musicals. She performed in acclaimed musicals such as “My Fair Lady,” “The Sound of Music” and “Mary Poppins” and remained one of the most famous actresses ever thanks to those roles.
- Audrey Hepburn – Audrey Hepburn remained one of the classiest beauties in Hollywood during her short time there. She became one of the most famous actresses ever when she appeared in the instant classic “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” in 1961. Other big roles for the actress include “Roman Holiday,” “Funny Face” and “Sabrina.” Hepburn retired at the top of her game and became a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF.
- Julia Roberts – Julia Roberts remained the most popular actress in the ‘90s thanks to popular movies like “Pretty Woman” and “Steel Magnolias.” She grew into one of the most famous actresses ever, despite not winning any major awards, thanks to her box office appeal. She finally won her first Oscar fourteen years after her debut for the movie “Erin Brockovich.”
- Sandra Bullock – While Julia Roberts was winning the box office wars in the ‘90s, Sandra Bullock slowly established herself as a leading lady with her girl-next-door attributes. Finally, in 2009, Bullock won her first Oscar for the sport’s movie “The Blind Side.”
- Angelina Jolie – Angelina Jolie remains one of the most famous actresses ever thanks almost as much to the paparazzi attention to her stardom as her onscreen roles. Jolie is the daughter of Jon Voight, is divorced from Billy Bob Thornton and, as of 2010, is dating Brad Pitt. None of this should overshadow the Oscar winning actresses’ roles in “Girl, Interrupted” and “Changeling.”
- Judi Dench – Dame Judi Dench made her stage debut in the 1957 adaptation of “Hamlet” and her screen debut in the 1964 film “The Third Secret.” As of 2010, Dench has earned six Oscar nominations since 1998, winning once for “Shakespeare in Love.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
Dove Men Shave Cream