10 Most Famous Black Actresses
Today, the most famous black actresses are commanding leading roles in all types of films. Not only can they act, but they are beautiful as well.
- Halle Berry. She was born in 1966 and won a Best Actress Academy Award for "Monster’s Ball," becoming the first black actress (as of 2009) to win this award. She has also won many beauty contests before becoming an actress.
- Raven-Symoné. As well as acting, she sings, models, produces television shows and is a dancer. She is best known for her television roles and voices of animated films. She is a great role model for young girls besides being one of the ten most famous black actresses.
- Thandie Newton. She has roles in films such as “Mission Impossible II” and “The Chronicles of Riddick,” for which she won a BAFTA Best Supporting Actress Award. Besides being one of the ten most famous black actresses, she is known as a practical joker on the set of her films.
- Whoopi Goldberg. This talented actress has won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the movie “Ghost.” She is one of the few actresses to win an Oscar, a Tony, a Grammy and an Emmy, thereby solidifying her role as one of the ten most famous black actresses.
- Gabrielle Union. Her most notable roles include “Bring It On” and “Bad Boys II.” Gabrielle is an advocate for victims of sexual assault as she was raped and beaten when she was nineteen. She has used her status as one of the most famous black actresses to campaign for this cause.
- Angela Bassett. She is most known for her portrayal of real life black women. She has portrayed women such as Tina Turner, Rosa Parks and Volletta Wallace. Not only is she one of the ten most famous black actresses, she is also one of the most charming.
- Queen Latifah. She has lent her voice to many animated films. Her real name is Dana Elaine Owens and she was born in 1970. She has won many awards for her roles in such movies as “Hairspray,” making her one of the ten most famous black actresses.
- Sanaa Lathan. She has won many NAACP awards for her roles. She has been in films such as “Blade” and “Powder Blue.” As one of the ten most famous black actresses, she has also appeared in television series.
- Pam Grier. She is one of the few African-American women to receive a Golden Globe nomination. Her biggest role thus far has been in the movie “Jackie Brown,” for which she received eight award nominations. She has also written her memoir “Foxy: My Life in Three Acts,” making her a writer as well as one of the ten most famous black actresses.
- Nia Long. She is both an actress and also a video music director. Her roles in movies have included “Soul Food” and “Big Momma’s House.” In 2000, People magazine voted her one of its 50 Most Beautiful People, making her one of the ten most famous black actresses.
Posted on: Sep. 28, 2010