The 10 most famous black entrepreneurs are extremely business-savvy, and have made many brilliant strides in diversifying their business portfolios. This multitasking and branding of their image, ideals, point of view, and personal taste has garnered them their status as being among the most relevant taste-makers in the world of business. They aren't just the ten most famous black entrepreneurs, they are ten of the most famous entrepreneurs, period!
- Will Smith. Big Willie is clearly one of the biggest box office draws in motion pictures, as well as conquering the worlds of music and television. Aside from being easily the most famous, widely recognized black entrepreneur, Will Smith also works hard behind the camera producing major movies such as: "I Am Legend", "Hancock", and the remake of "The Karate Kid" staring his son Jaden Smith.
- Sean Combs. In the world of hip hop, what black entrepreneur is more famous than Sean Combs, known better as "P-Diddy"? He takes time to produce and record albums, run Bad Boy Records, act in movies such as "Monster's Ball" and "Get Him to the Greek", run his fashion empire Sean John, and sell Ciroc Vodka.
- Oprah WInfrey. Oprah Winfrey is such a famous black entrepreneur that you only need to hear her first name to recognize her. She owns Harpo Studios that produces her long-running talk show "The Oprah Winfrey Show", she founded O magazine and Oxygen the woman's cable network, and she is the most powerful woman in the world, the only African American female billionaire, and the richest African American, period.
- Jay-Z. Shawn Carter, or Jay-Z to his millions of supporters, began his hip hop career as an incredibly intelligent entrepreneur, as a co-owner of Rocafella Records. Jay-Z has since been the CEO of Def Jam Reocrds, runs Roca Wear fashion line, struck a lucrative music deal with Live Nation for $150 million, is a part owner of the New Jersey Nets, and is a co-owner of the 40/40 Club which is an upscale sports bar.
- Magic Johnson.I cannot think of a more famous, or successful black entrepreneur that has left the National Basketball Association to make even more money as a full-time business man. Magic is the Chief Executive Officer of Magic Johnson Enterprises, a company whose portfolio includes numerous franchise locations including: AMC/Magic Johnson Movie Theaters, Burger King, Starbucks, T.G.I Fridays, 24 Hour Fitness, and Washington Mutual Home Loan Centers.
- Beyonce Knowles. Beyonce went from R & B super-group Destiny's Child, to a dynamic solo career, selling over 100 million records and ten Grammy Awards as of 2010. She also partnered with her mother for a woman's wear line called House of Deréon, and Forbes Magazine named her number four on their list of Top Celebrities.
- Russell Simmons. Mr. Simmons is widely known as the godfather of hip hop entrepreneurs, starting with the creation of Def Jams Records with super producer Rick Rubin. Russell's list of accomplishments is extensive, including: Phat Farm, Baby Phat, and Run Athletics clothing lines, producing films like "The Nutty Professor" through his co-owned company Simmons Lathan Media Group, and television shows such as "The Def Comedy Jam" and "The Def Poetry Jam" on HBO.
- George Foreman. Big George Foreman gained his fame in the professional heavy weight boxing ring, but he earned his amazing entrepreneur status in the kitchen. The George Forman Grill or the Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine, has made Mr. Foreman well over $200 million dollars, not including the sum he was paid to use the rights to his name.
- Tyler Perry. Perry is the founder and president of one of the most successful African American-owned media companies—The Tyler Perry Company Inc. This famousw black entrepreneur's writing, directing, and acting have brought the world the "Madea" series of films and theater plays, and successful television shows such as "Meet the Browns" and "House of Payne".
- Jermaine Dupri. Mega producer Jermaine Dupri is the founder of the highly successful record company So So Def. Dupri's discoveries include Kriss Kross, The Brat, Lil Bow Wow, Xscape, Jagged Edge, and his hugest find: Usher.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.