Powerful, superb and these 10 most famous British actresses have increasingly dominated Hollywood. These women, who have mastered the craft, show just how powerful and forceful an actress can be when she knows what she is doing. These 10 famous British actresses, both old and young, have made an indelible impression on American culture and cinema.
- Judi Dench-Often considered one of the finest actresses of her generation, Judi Dench has become well-known to her American audiences through her portrayal of “M” in the James Bond films and for her starring role in the British comedy "As Time Goes By." Her combinaion of wit and pathos makes her one of the strongest British actresses.
- Helen Mirren-Although she has been acting in various famous series and films, Helen Mirren truly set herself apart with her role in "The Queen," in which she portrayed Queen Elizabeth II. Whether she is acting in a comedy or a drama, Mirren always manages to set herself apart and to show what can happen when a woman harnesses the power of her experience to give a truly top-notch performance.
- Angela Lansbury-This venerable grand dame has been acting for several decades, and most Americans will know her for her role as Jessica Fletcher in the popular series "Murder, She Wrote." However, Lansbury also has a number of other excellent films to her credit, including the original "The Manchurian Candidate," in which she showed that she was quite capable of playing a demonic, scheming mother.
- Maggie Smith-Although Americans probably know her best from the popular "Harry Potter" films, the venerable Maggie Smith has actually had a long and distinguished career in the British cinema, including a remarkable gem of a film called "Ladies in Lavender." Her calm, cool, almost detached (but always loving) acting persona has made her one of the best and most loved British actresses.
- Patricia Routledge-Patricia Routledge came to the attention of American audiences when she portrayed the hilarious social-climber Hyacinth Bucket in the popular Britcom "Keeping Up Appearances." Since then, she has acted in a number of other films and plays, but she will always be most famous for her role in the prior series, considering how fantastic a job she did at performing.
- Helena Bonham Carter-No British actress is as able to play evil and devilry than the wickedly delicious Helena Bonham Carter. Due in large part to her partnership with Tim Burton, this always entertaining British great has come to be quite popular and definitely deserves her place on this list, especially for her role in "Harry Potter" as the murderous Bellatrix Lestrange.
- Kate Winslet-Without a doubt, Kate Winslet is one of the most flexible and enjoyable to watch British actresses currently on the screen. Whether she is acting in a comedy or a drama (such as the epic film "Titanic"), she brings a life and a power to the role that is unmatched by almost any other British or American actress.
- Emma Thompson-Emma Thompson, who has become increasingly popular due to her role as Nanny McPhee, is also quite famous for a number of dramatic roles. Her soft, musical voice and comfortable yet powerful persona ensure that she has managed to remain famous in the British eye.
- Vanessa Redgrave-Made famous through her various acting performances, including a profoundly moving showing in the film "Atonement" and a tear-jerking performance in "If these Walls Could Talk 2," Vanessa Redgrave has come to be synonymous with phenomenal acting. She has been nominated for numerous acting awards, including the Emmy, the Oscar and numerous others, and has also won several. With her combination of star appeal and award-winning performances, she has widely become known as one of the most famous British actresses.
- Sian Phillips-Although perhaps best known for her performance as the villainous and scheming Livia in the BBC series "I, Claudius," for which she won a BAFTA TV Award, Sian Phillips has also become famous through her other roles, such as a turn in the weirdly wonderful film "Dune." She has also become famous for her royal bearing and her very striking physical features, which is why she deserves her place on this list of most famous British actresses.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.