Who are the 10 most famous female artists of our time? There have been dozens upon dozens of super-talented ladies who deserve a place in this grouping. Since there can be only so many performers in this list of the ten most famous female artists, only the best of the best will be named within this article.
- Aretha Franklin – The first of the ten most famous female artists is known around the world as the "Queen of Soul." Ms Franklin sings it all – rock, blues, jazz, gospel, and of course, soul. She has won an astonishing eighteen Grammy Awards during the course of her career.
- Billie Holiday - "Lady Day" also makes the list of the ten most famous female artists.. She was a composer and a phenomenal jazz singer. She is widely considered to be the best female jazz singer of all time. She was a musical legend of the 30s 40s and 50s. Holiday died too soon, at the age of only 44.
- Madonna – The incomparable Madonna has been the recipient of many Golden Globes and Grammy Awards, and she has also made her mark as an actress, author and record producer.
- Diana Ross – Diana Ross began her career as the lead singer for The Supremes. She became a successful solo artist, and made the crossover into film, television and even onto the Broadway stage, where she won a Tony Award for her one-woman show, "An Evening with Diana Ross."
- Janis Joplin – This legendary performer also deserves a spot on the list of the ten most famous female artists. Joplin was well-known for her distinctively raspy, powerful voice. Her heydey was in the late 60s, when she sang lead for Big Brother and the Holding Company before embarking on a solo career. Tragically, she left us much too soon. She died at age 27 of a heroin overdose on October 4, 1970.
- Mahalia Jackson – Ms. Jackson was a world-renowned gospel singer from New Orleans. She began her career singing with a touring gospel quintet, and later became one of the most popular singers of the 50s and 60s. She was closely associated with Thomas Dorsey and sang several of his songs. She also sang at the 1963 March on Washington.
- Ella Fitzgerald – Ms. Fitzgerald was known as The "First Lady of Song." She was noted for her improvisational ability and scat singing. She had a vocal range spanning three octaves. Ms Fitzgerald won thirteen Grammy Awards during her 59-year career.
- Mariah Carey – One of the most popular vocalists of the 1990s, Mariah Carey possesses an outstanding vocal range. Her first five singles reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart, which is no small feat!
- Whitney Houston – This pop diva became a superstar in the 1980s, following the release of her self-titled debut album. She segued into acting, and starred in "The Bodyguard" with Kevin Costner. She also sang many songs from the acclaimed movie soundtrack.
- Celine Dion – The list of the ten most famous female artists would not be complete without Celine Dion. This French-Canadian singer achieved worldwide fame during the 1990s. She is known as one of the greatest singers of our time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…