Of all the women in film, who are the ten most famous Hollywood actresses? It's hard to squeeze ten famous ladies into one list, as so many have graced both television and the silver screen. Since the advent of movies, who are the loveliest leading ladies?
- Marilyn Monroe. At the top of the ten most famous Hollywood actresses is icon Marilyn Monroe. Born Norma Jean Mortensen, she changed her name and her image and rocketed to stardom. Monroe starred in over 30 films before her death in 1962. Known around the world and still a beloved figure, the blonde bombshell remains a leading lady even in death.
- Greta Garbo. Born in Sweden, Greta Garbo did several films before earning an Academy Award nomination for "Anna Christie" (1930). Garbo was a puzzle to her fans, who knew Garbo only through movie roles. Beautiful and eccentric, she left her mark upon the movie industry as one of the first to move from silent films to "talkies." She did a total of 32 movies from 1920 to 1941 and is considered one of the most famous Hollywood actresses of all time .
Meryl Streep. Nominated for sixteen Academy Awards, Meryl Streep is one of the ten most famous Hollywood actresses. Streep has appeared in 63 films and worked in movies since 1977, when she played Anne Maria in "Julia." A graduate of Vassar and the Yale School of Drama, Streep is known for her total commitment to the parts she plays. In spite of Streep's celebrity, she is known to live a quiet life with her husband.
- Bette Davis. Bette Davis starred in 121 movies and television shows between 1931 and 1989. During her career, Davis won two Oscars and an Emmy while receiving nominations for nine Acadamy Awards and two Emmys. Davis was admired by several generations of movie lovers, and is best known for "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962), "All About Eve" (1950) and "Dangerous" (1935).
- Sandra Bullock. Sandra Bullock began acting in 1987, but did not reach super stardom until the movie "Speed" (1994). Bullock has been mentioned as one of the most beautiful actresses in the world and won an Oscar for her performance in "The Blind Side" (2009). She has donated millions of dollars to the Red Cross and other charities.
- Grace Kelly. Fans fell in love with Grace Kelly in the "Dial M for Murder" (1954). She'd been acting since 1951, but her partnership with Alfred Hitchcock paid off in spades. Kelly ended up as royalty when she married Prince Rainier of Monaco. Her role in "The Country Girl" (1954) won an Oscar. Kelly was killed in a car accident in 1982.
- Angelina Jolie. A modern actress, Angelina Jolie is a brand. She's known around the world for her films but her private life is subject to much speculation. When Jolie and Brad Pitt fell in love during the filming of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" (2005), Jolie combined acting with motherhood, adopting three children and giving birth to three others.
- Jennifer Lopez. Lopez hit the big time when she appeared in "Selena" (1997). Many knew her as a fly girl on the television series "In Living Color," where Lopez used her dance training to perform. Lopez has been in 30 television episodes and movies.
- Goldie Hawn. Goldie Hawn began acting in 1967, but became famous on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In." The lead role as Judy Benjamin of "Private Benjamin" (1980) focused the spotlight on Hawn. She continued to climb with other works ("Swing Shift" and "Overboard"). Hawn has completed 31 movies and television appearances, and won an Oscar for her supporting role in "Cactus Flower" (1970), earning her place as one of the ten most famous Hollywood actresses.
- Katherine Hepburn. Katherine Hepburn starred in 51 films and television shows from 1932 to 1994. One of Hollywood's ten most famous actresses, Hepburn is best known for her parts in "Bringing Up Baby" (1938), "The African Queen" (1951) and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967). Hepburn's talent earned her twelve Academy Award nominations, four giving her an Oscar. She was also famous for her relationship with actor Spencer Tracy.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …