Mexico's best imports include great food, passionate soap operas and the 10 most famous Mexican soccer players, all of whom are beloved in their native country.
- Hugo Sanchez. A native of Mexico City, Sanchez is widely considered the best Mexican soccer player of all time. During his playing days, he won five Spanish League championships with his club Real Madrid, and netted 46 goals on the Mexican National team, which included three World Cup appearances. His signature move of somersaulting after scoring a goal made him a fan favorite, and he is still one of the ten most famous Mexican soccer players.
- Cuauhtemoc Blanco. Praised for his masterful control of the ball in the midfield, Mexico City's Blanco endeared himself to fans around the world with his combustible personality and willingness to engage in confrontations with his opponents. He played in three World Cups, and is regarded as one of the ten best Mexican soccer players of all time.
- Rafael Marquez. Born in Zamora, Mexico, Marquez was, until recently, considered the best defender in the world. He gained fame playing with Spanish club giant Barcelona, where he won a regular season title and the Champions League in 2008. Marquez captained Mexico's 2010 World Cup squad, and his toughness and technical proficiency make him one of the ten most famous Mexican soccer players.
- Jared Borgetti. Raised on the streets of Sinaloa, Mexico, Borgetti was an elegant striker who scored over 250 goals playing in the Mexican League. He was named Mexican Footballer of the Year in 2000 and was the first Mexican to play in the English Premier League, when he joined Bolton Wanderers for the 2005 season. He is Mexico's all-time leading international scorer with 46 goals.
- Claudio Suarez. Born in Texcoco, Mexico, Suarez was a stout defender who played over 20 years in the Mexican League and Major League soccer in the United States. He holds the record for most international appearances in history for any player other than a goalkeeper, with 178 games played.
- Luis Hernandez. This flamboyant striker was born in Poza Rica, Mexico, and gained fame for his dyed-blond hair and his ability to score goals. He played in two World Cups and scored 35 international goals, ranking him third all-time in Mexican soccer history and cementing his status as one of the ten most famous Mexican soccer players.
- Carlos Hermosillo. A native of Vera Cruz, Hermosillo spent most of his career playing in the Mexican League and is tied with Luis Hernandez as the third all-time leading international goal scorer for Mexico. He appeared 90 times for the national team and played in the 1994 World Cup.
- Omar Bravo. A small, lightning-quick striker, Bravo, a Sinaloa native, has scored fifteen goals in 62 appearances for the Mexican National team. He was the top scorer in the Mexican League in 2007.
- Luis Roberto Alves. Known by his nickname "Zague," Alves was a 6 ft. 4 inch Mexico-City born striker, whose long strides helped him score 214 goals in 18 years of Mexican League play. He thrilled fans of Mexico's powerhouse club America by becoming the team's all-time leading scorer, and is Mexico's fifth all-time leading international scorer with 30 goals in eleven appearances. A soccer legend to this day, Alves ranks among the ten most famous Mexican soccer players.
- Giovani Dos Santos. Though the youngest player on the list at only 21, Monterrey-born Dos Santos first gained notice at the 2005 FIFA Under 17 World Championship. He later joined Spanish superclub Barcelona for one year, then moved to English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur, where he currently plays. A striker with dazzling speed and uncanny moves, Dos Santos' fame arises from his boundless potential, giving Mexican fans reason to believe that he's the next, great Mexican soccer star.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.