Brush up politics and history with the 10 most famous politicians of the 20th century. The 20th century was a interesting time in politics; the Great Depression, the Civil Rights Movement, WWII, and the Cold War made sure that the 20th century would produce it's fair share of famous politicians. The most famous politicians of the 20th century were great men and women who helped their fellow man and inspired people all over the world. Others become famous by being evil douche-bags that no one can get out of office.
- Winston Churchill (1874-1965) Being one of the driving forces that helped the allied forces win WWII is what makes Winston Churchill one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century. His giant cigars, love of scotch and scathing sarcasm is what made him awesome.
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-1963) JFK is remembered as one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century for his progressive politics, good looks, impressive military service and untimely death. During WWII, he swam a badly burned man to safety. In the 60's he advanced the Civil Rights Movement, and hooked-up with Marilyn Monroe. All of which speak volumes to the awesomeness of JFK.
- Bill Clinton (1917-1963) Being one of the few American Presidents that was able to leave office with a surplus made Bill Clinton awesome. Being the President that taught us how to do freaky things with cigars and interns is what made him one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century.
- Nelson Mandela (1918-Present) Spending 27 years in jail for being an anti-apartheid activist made Nelson Mandela a household name in the human rights arena. Surviving prison to become the first Democratically elected President in South Africa and uniting his nation made him one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century.
- Newt Gingrich (1943- Present) The former Speaker of the House of Representatives became one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century during the 1990s. His sparing matches with the Clinton Administration are the stuff of political legend. Now it's his ultra-conservative views and general enemy-of-fun demeanor that keep him in the spotlight.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt ( 1822-1945) Using his "New Deal" programs rebuild the American economy after the Depression made FDR one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century.
- Theodore Roosevelt ( 1858-1919)When he wasn't busting up corporations Teddy Roosevelt was out there busting heads. He was an avid hunter and went of African safaris on a regular basis. In 1912, a would be assassin shot President Roosevelt in the chest. Instead of stopping the speech, he stood at the podium and spoke with the bullet in his chest. That's why Teddy Roosevelt is one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century. Actually it makes him one of the most bad-ass politicians in the history of politics.
- Kim Jong-Il (1942-Present) The leader of North Korea is one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century for all of the wrong reasons. The litany of human rights grievances alone make him one of the most heinous people on the planet. One the other hand; the secretive nature of his regime and the insane stories told by those who managed to escape, make him entertaining- in a scary way. Being the closest thing we have to a real-life Batman super-villain is why Kim Jong-Il is one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century.
- Ted Kennedy ( 1932-2009) A combination of Kennedy charm, murder and a devotion to Civil Rights made Ted Kennedy one of the most popular politicians of the 20th century. Ted Kennedy's death last year marked the end of the Kennedy's political dynasty.
Hillary Clinton (1947-Present) Say what you will about her weird little pants suits, the woman has gone from First Lady, to Senator, to Presidential hopeful to Secretary of State. Being able to absorb the scandal of her husband and carve out an impressive career of her own has made Hillary Clinton one of the most famous politicians of the 20th century.